Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC for this iPod"?

"Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC for this iPod"?
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 02:27 AM

Apparently this is an option for the iPod Shuffles. Can anyone confirm?

If so, Apple really needs to add this functionality to all iPods, not just the shuffle. That would make my life so much easier. I'd love to have all lossless files on my Mac, then let iTunes take care of re-encoding to 128k AAC when it syncs new music. I typically don't remove music from the iPod often, so the overhead of converting music would happen very rarely.

As it is, I have to keep track of lossless and lossy files myself and make sure the lossy version gets uploaded to the iPod and the lossless version gets played at home.

Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 07:16 AM

Yes it is an option. However, if you had this on normal iPods it would take some serious time to re-encode all your songs.

bmedina  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
However, if you had this on normal iPods it would take some serious time to re-encode all your songs.
That hasn't stopped me yet. I have all new rips in both lossless and AAC. This would just have the computer do it for me and free up my library from multiple entries of the same song with a different encoding.

Many people have asked for this before, and now it's an option on the Shuffles. I think it should be an option for all the iPods.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2005, 02:49 PM

So does this option automatically convert ANY file that it comes across in your library that is over 128 kbps? Or is there some kind of "advanced" option set where you can set iTunes to transcode only certain filetypes? I ask because I have a lot of 160 kbps mp3s in my library that I probably wouldn't want converted (too much quality loss converting mp3s at that bitrate, I would think), but I also have a lot of 192 kbps AACs that I wouldn't mind converting to save space on the Shuffle.

Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 05:33 PM

I FIGURED IT OUT!

Woohoo, lol...I wanted to do this b/c I'm getting my g/f a mini for Valentine's Day and all my 320k mp3s on my hard drive would fill that up too fast for her. All you have to do is this: In preferences, under Importing, select AAC Encoder and make sure the Bitrate is 128k (or lower, whatever...) and then select a song (or more) and right click to "Convert Selection to AAC". Whatever bitrate you selected is what it'll downconvert to. Enjoy!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2005, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
I FIGURED IT OUT!

Woohoo, lol...I wanted to do this b/c I'm getting my g/f a mini for Valentine's Day and all my 320k mp3s on my hard drive would fill that up too fast for her. All you have to do is this: In preferences, under Importing, select AAC Encoder and make sure the Bitrate is 128k (or lower, whatever...) and then select a song (or more) and right click to "Convert Selection to AAC". Whatever bitrate you selected is what it'll downconvert to. Enjoy!
Ya but that will convert the ones on your hard drive.

The option for the shuffle just converts the ones that you are transferring to the shuffle and leaves the original intact.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

bmedina  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
I FIGURED IT OUT!

Yes, and now you have two copies of the same song in your library, and you have to manually manage re-encoding the files.

Wouldn't it be great if iTunes handled it all for you?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 09:45 PM

That's what smart playlists are for - so you can create a playlist of all songs with a bitrate over 128 so you can convert them!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 12:08 AM

i see what you want and i didn't know that they had that option for the shuffle, but it seems handy for SOME people. However, apple may not worry about it being a feature on the bigger ipods. As mentioned above, doing it for 20, 30 or 60 gigs worth of music would take FOREVER to upload as it converts on the fly. And apple might worry about that feature upsetting it's image as a "quick and easy" device. Maybe someone could or will make an aftermarket plug-in for itunes to let you do it...

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2006, 08:41 PM

Ideally itunes would automatically encode to 128 bit the least played or lowest rated albums until all songs fit on ipod.

Senior User
Feb 17, 2006, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by JackNN
That's what smart playlists are for - so you can create a playlist of all songs with a bitrate over 128 so you can convert them!
Way to dig up a thread that's over a year old

Forum Links
Forum Rules