Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > will this work? :]

will this work? :]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 06:33 PM

Hey everyone, i am about to buy a 30gig video ipod, but wanted to check if this will work first...

I have an old imac, and i wont be able to connect my ipod to it unless i upgrade to the new OS which I don't have money for right now.

Is it possible for me to transfer all of my itunes songs to my external harddrive, and then to transfer them from my external harddrive to my friends computer which has the new OS.

Can I then plug my ipod into my friends computer and put my songs onto my ipod?

Do you think this will work, and what is the best way to go about this?

Thanks for your help!

vlad.

Banned
Jan 12, 2006, 09:06 PM

yes it'll work .
copy your itunes music library folder onto the external. it should be under music than itunes music library folder.Just click and drag and drop it onto your external and a copy of the folder will be made.(all the org. music files will still be on your computer) after you get it on there go to your friends computer and hook up your externaland than go to your friends itunes and make it so that your library is the one itunes reads from the external.
go to itunes prefences, go to advanced and under general there should be a iTunes Music folder location. click on change and go into your external harddrive and find your folder and click okay. that should change the library. now after youve done this, go to the advanced pull down menu that is next to visualizer pull down and click Consolidate Library... click okay and the itunes should now have your music as the library, than plug in your ipod and import. dont worry all of YOUR music will be on your external and not his computer. if your external isnt connected than just the song names will be in the itunes but not the files. if you try to play the music without the external plugged in than itll get a ! next to the song and a popup that says org. file not found, would you like to locate?

after your all done, do the itunes music library location again and change it back to your friends and than consolidate library under the advanced pull down and you should be all set.

a little wordy but wanted to get everything

have fun!
( Last edited by rparke1; Jan 12, 2006 at 09:25 PM. )

vlad84  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 02:08 AM

Hey there, thanks for that, much appreciated.

I do everything you say to do, but when I click on 'consolidate library' a box comes up saying:

"consolidating your library will copy all of your music unto the itunes music folder, this cannot be undone'

then i click 'consolidate' and nothing happens - ie my music does not show up in itunes.

am i doing something wrong?

any ideas?
thanks!

Banned
Jan 18, 2006, 02:32 AM

troubleshooting question: did you restart itunes after you did this and your music didnt show up? or no restart?

i'm sorry for not mentioning that little but vital part of the process in my guide i gave

if the restart doesnt work, try restarting your friends computer with your external connected, and if still no music. than retry what i said abouve and if it still isn't working out than im very

hope you get things going.

sidenote: ive done what your doing many times with my own equipment and a few friends. so i know it works

good luck

if anyone else wants to throw in there 2 cents go for it

Forum Links
Forum Rules