Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Replacement iPod Headphones

Replacement iPod Headphones
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2006, 04:26 AM

I just noticed today that my 5G iPod headphones is starting to come apart. To be more specific, the actual plug and the cable have started to separate where they come together and now shows a bit of the wiring inside. While it still works just perfectly fine in my opinion (keep in mind I just noticed this problem today so further use might surface other issues), I began to look for a replacement set so that I won't get bugged by the sight nor the thought of my precious headphones looking like that.

Problem is, APPLE doesn't seem to sell a replacement set of exactly the same headphones that come pre-packaged with iPods. I searched online but with no such luck, only finding "used" auction finds and other branded alternatives!

I'm very particular about my Apple products looking exactly as they should but I don't seem to have much luck finding the same exact kind of headphones. Even apple.com only touted their "in-ear headphones" and the headphones of other companies but no such mention of headphones that are the same ones that come bundled with new iPods.

Where can I find these headphones NEW? If anyone has any suggestion, thanks in advance! I truly appreciate it!
Image is Everything. Design. Mac.

Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2006, 05:19 AM

I'd like to know this too... my iPod headphones died about 2 years ago...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Administrator
Jul 24, 2006, 08:30 AM

I've seen them in the Apple Store, but original iPod headphones are decidedly missing from the online Apple Store. Curious...

However, I prefer 'phones that block more of the outside world to the original iPod 'phones. I have to turn the volume up much higher with original earbuds than with the Koss buds that fit IN the ear canal, and the Koss bud pads fit better (and are more comfortable) thus blocking ambient sounds. Try sitting on a city transit bus and listening to your iPod with original equipment earphones... you'll DEFINITELY want something that blocks more outside sound.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2006, 12:05 PM

Go to the Apple Store and tell them they died and most of the time they will give you a new pair.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2006, 03:25 PM

Senior User
Jul 29, 2006, 05:31 PM

Wow....this must be new. I used to buy replacement phones from the Apple store...$40 if I recall. I am particular too...but since I bought these expensive Shure in-ear models for $180 - I have to say to hell with matching. If I bought a BlackPod, I think I would buy the Sony's for ~ $50
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2006, 12:50 PM

If your 5g is still under warranty (1 year) or you bought applecare, Apple will simply send you a new pair N/C. Just submit a repair order on the website:

http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/

Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2006, 08:55 PM

man, you paid $40 for those crap 'phones?
i'm groovin with my sennheiser px-100's, acquired, in black, for $30.
(although i like the white macbook and white ipod, the white sennheisers are just weird-looking; plus, i think the white ones are more expensive, for a change)

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 03:25 PM

I have the same problem with my headphones, but i found a pair on Mac-Pro for only $20 plus 6 something for shipping. They are the same pair that comes standard with the iPod, and you can add in a pair of earphone covers (the little fuzzy things, i dont kno what theyre called) for an extra .97 cents.

http://www.mac-pro.com/s.nl/it.A/id....2&category=185

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 12:10 AM

you guys have to try the ones that block out external sound...amazing is all i can say, esp on airplanes. some are very expensive though, not the ones i have though. i forget the brand though, ill post it when i remember
Proud member of Feed my iPod

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 04:19 PM

the headphones that block ambient sound are also more expensive. most ppl just want regular headphones. i break them frequently, so buying expensive headphones isnt always the best option.

Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2006, 06:34 AM

i have the sennheiser cx300 which are noise-reducing because they're in-ear phones. great sound, i prefer them to my stock apple earphones. around £20 here.

but if you really want the Apple ones, you should get them free under warranty.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 11:20 AM

When I have to use earbud style earphones (running for example), I am a big fan of Apple's in-earphones. They're really comfy and they don't fall out.

Aug 10, 2006, 01:12 PM

I use Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 pro. They're amazing.

http://www.ultimateears.com/superfi/...-Pro-black.htm

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2006, 01:35 PM

hahaha well they should be amazing for $250

Forum Links
Forum Rules