Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New iPod Shuffle comes with old style headphones

New iPod Shuffle comes with old style headphones
Thread Tools
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2006, 01:43 PM
 

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Aiken, South Carolina, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2006, 02:27 PM
 
Well, I never use the earbuds anyway. I can't stand things that fit in my ear.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: detroit,mi,usa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2006, 02:41 PM
 
...
( Last edited by scaught; Nov 1, 2006 at 02:50 PM. )
     
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2006, 02:54 PM
 
I don't see enough detail in the pictures to tell if these are the original earbuds or the new, slightly smaller earbuds. What type of headphones were you expecting to come out with the new Shuffle?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2006, 04:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I don't see enough detail in the pictures to tell if these are the original earbuds or the new, slightly smaller earbuds. What type of headphones were you expecting to come out with the new Shuffle?
For starters the new ones that come with all the other new iPods.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Manchester, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2006, 05:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
It's exactly as I predicted since the launch.

The photos on the Apple web site that show the shuffle ALL have the old headphones.

Also if you watch the keynote, Steve NEVER mentions the new earbuds when he talks about the shuffle. He did on all the other iPods, but specifically no mention on the shuffle.

The same is also true about the slides he used in the Keynote. On the slides for the iPod and the Nano the new headphones were mentioned. On the slide for the shuffle they were not.

I have always expected to get the old headphones, all the evidence pointed that way.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2006, 05:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by Parky View Post
It's exactly as I predicted since the launch.Ian
Proud of you.

Either way it is disappointing, is apple just trying to clear old inventory or save a couple bucks?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 15N, 114 10E
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2006, 09:08 PM
 
It is sure one good way to clear old inventory. I like trying out what's new and improved so I will just have to defer my order. BTW, I use Shure E4c with my 5th gen and I couldn't go back to the old earphones.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB
     
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2006, 09:20 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
For starters the new ones that come with all the other new iPods.
It took a lot of peering for me to see the difference. I can't say that I find much of a difference between the two myself, but now that I know what to look for, I do see that the pictured 'phones are indeed the earlier model.

From the tone of the posts, I had the impression that people were expecting noise cancelling, humongous dynamic range, custom-fit to the ear solid gold 'phones or something. Sorry for the less than intelligent question.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2006, 01:09 AM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It took a lot of peering for me to see the difference. I can't say that I find much of a difference between the two myself, but now that I know what to look for, I do see that the pictured 'phones are indeed the earlier model.

From the tone of the posts, I had the impression that people were expecting noise cancelling, humongous dynamic range, custom-fit to the ear solid gold 'phones or something. Sorry for the less than intelligent question.
No they are just more stylish, have a rubber lining so they stay in better and have better sound. Who wouldn't want those things?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2006, 02:53 AM
 
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
is apple just trying to clear old inventory or save a couple bucks?
Both.
     
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2006, 09:42 AM
 
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
No they are just more stylish, have a rubber lining so they stay in better and have better sound. Who wouldn't want those things?
Well my wife is using the new ones that came with her Nano because she didn't like the original ones, even with the Griffin Earjams (which I'm now using with those original earbuds). My ears must be significantly bigger than other people's because the original earbuds fit me pretty well, and as long as I use the foam covers they're comfortable.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cooperstown '09
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2006, 12:21 PM
 
It's the "low-cost" iPod after-all.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2006, 04:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
It's the "low-cost" iPod after-all.
Last I heard they had some really good margins on it though.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Feb 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2006, 07:36 PM
 
I've had an 80 GB iPod for a couple weeks now. I just got a new shuffle yesterday. The new shuffle definitely comes with the old earbuds. Having used the new earbuds for a couple weeks, they are nothing special. They fall out of my ears just as often as the old ones did.

I wouldn't mind buying a nice pair of headphones like from Shure. Problem is I'm afraid to spend the money, not like them and never use them again.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 3, 2006, 03:25 AM
 
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Last I heard they had some really good margins on it though.
And their margins get even better when they sell off the old headphone stock with the cheapest player in the family.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NYC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 3, 2006, 07:19 PM
 
[QUOTE=Dark Helmet;3188788]I find this very disappointing.

I prefer the old one. The headphone does not fit on my ears.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Miami Beach
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2006, 07:07 AM
 
Originally Posted by b11051973 View Post
I've had an 80 GB iPod for a couple weeks now. I just got a new shuffle yesterday. The new shuffle definitely comes with the old earbuds. Having used the new earbuds for a couple weeks, they are nothing special. They fall out of my ears just as often as the old ones did.

I wouldn't mind buying a nice pair of headphones like from Shure. Problem is I'm afraid to spend the money, not like them and never use them again.
I just had a lapse of judgement and succumbed to a pair of E3Cs from Best Buy. After 3 days I decided I'm never going back to regular earbuds.

*If they don't fit you right, sell them in the Marketplace and you're only out $20, if that.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 7, 2006, 03:06 PM
 
I still have my ipod headphones in their original pack... didnt open them cos they suck!!!!!!
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 7, 2006, 03:13 PM
 
I don't really mind either way, but the headphones that came with my shuffle has a disctinctly shorter cord than the ones that came with my (older) 5G iPod with the same old earbud design.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 8, 2006, 02:53 AM
 
Originally Posted by Jonaziz View Post
I don't really mind either way, but the headphones that came with my shuffle has a disctinctly shorter cord than the ones that came with my (older) 5G iPod with the same old earbud design.
Yeah, I noticed that as well. I'm actually quite glad about it. The older cord would be too long if you plan on clipping your shuffle to your pants or sweater.
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2