Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The iPhone

The iPhone (Page 5)
Thread Tools
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:28 PM
 
carriers? I though this was a cingular exclusive.
Linkinus is king.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
carriers? I though this was a cingular exclusive.
Rumor has it there is a world outside the US.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Up north
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Rumor has it there is a world outside the US.
So I do exist after all?
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:34 PM
 
A world with wizards and dragons!

Re: iPhone. Build it and they will come.
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Italy
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
Nobody, and I mean, nobody. Has PUSH email on their cell over here. Except for a few hardcore business users (who don't pay for this expensive service themselves).

SMS+MMS is the standard.

IMHO Apple should've released an iPhone "light", a less advanced version. The iPhone practically requires you to have a serious data plan. Data plans are A)unavailable with pre-paid cards* B)extreeeeemely expensive C)unlimited data plans simply do not exist in most countries

*I won't be far of if I said that most people in europe these days have a pre-paid card instead of a contract.
I agree that SMS + MMS are the non business std in Europe but I am not sure if most people have prepaid cards or not. I think that at least in UK and Germany that contracts with subsidised phones are still the norm.

Either way its' spec will probably change by the time it gets here, at least here in Italy everyone has gone UMTS (apart from Blackberry who are still 99% business users despite attempts by Vodaphone and Tim to push the products together with data / mail packages)
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:37 PM
 


They sure look nice together.

Verizon.. ugh.
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Apr 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:39 PM
 
The splat is gone you need to get the blue logo out.

One another note I would like to have this phone but no way in hell I'm switching to cingular/att for it. The network sucks where I live. I'm planning on moving to Nevada and doing research in remote areas, how well does cingular work in those remote areas? Not at all and that is a big problem with the network and GSM here in the US. I still use 10,000+ min. in analog only areas so I can't even move to digital only phones. I guess I'm stuck using some of the older tri-mode phones on Sprint.
( Last edited by Kevin Moon; Jan 9, 2007 at 05:44 PM. Reason: because I can)
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: For me to know and you to find out....
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:42 PM
 
I reckon when it reaches australia, it isn't going to be much of a success.

Apple should just stay at where they are good at, because there are other companies that specialise at smart phones
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:45 PM
 
What does the new bluetooth headset look like?
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:45 PM
 
Originally Posted by Mike Pither View Post
(apart from Blackberry who are still 99% business users despite attempts by Vodaphone and Tim to push the products together with data / mail packages)
Not since the Pearl. The Pearl is the iPod to Blackberry's making them a consumer name and surging their stock.

Before the Pearl I hated BB"s but thing this won me over. I love it but in 6 months it is bye bye!

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Up north
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:45 PM
 
Originally Posted by PowerbookG3 View Post
I reckon when it reaches australia, it isn't going to be much of a success.

Apple should just stay at where they are good at, because there are other companies that specialise at smart phones
The so called 'companies that specialise at smart phones' must all be worried right now...
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
Looks like anodized aluminum with a chromed Apple logo on the back.

Pix
LOL this pic looks like Ben Stillar just bought a Zune last week.

Engadget
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
The so called 'companies that specialise at smart phones' must all be worried right now...
Palm and RIMS just took a dive.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:48 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Rumor has it there is a world outside the US.
I want sources!
Linkinus is king.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Behind the dryer, looking for a matching sock
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:48 PM
 
Originally Posted by PowerbookG3 View Post
Apple should just stay at where they are good at, because there are other companies that specialise at smart phones
Yeah, because those "other companies" are doing a bangup job in the UI department.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:48 PM
 

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Up north
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
What does the new bluetooth headset look like?
The headset sown in the keynote:

( Last edited by Jerome; Jan 9, 2007 at 06:06 PM. )
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
Yeah, because those "other companies" are doing a bangup job in the UI department.
I used Symbian's latest for 4 months and it stunk major.

Palm and windows are also garbage.

RIM's Pearl is actually the next best thing to the iPhone. Not as glossy but easy as hell to use and super fast, kinda sexy sometimes also.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:50 PM
 
Linkinus is king.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Landlockinated
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:51 PM
 
I think this signals a coming change in the US cellular market in general.

I am hopeful that Verizon will take a hit because of this and turn around it's regressive money-grubbing policies of handicapping phones in order to force users to use it's slow and painful to use "services."
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:52 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
The headset:[/img]
Wonder how you have to charge it. Some special adapter probably.

The awesome thing about my Pearl is the Mini USB port that it can use for charging, just about everyone has those laying about so you don't have to remember to take a special iPod connector to work and now another connector just to charge the headset.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
Fido I'm pretty sure, since they use the same network as Rogers now.

But Really, Rogers is the Leading company in every aspect within Canada, it's really a no-brainer to choose Rogers.
Fido is sometimes cheaper than Rogers, esp. if you don't like to sign contracts.

Rogers EDGE data is cheaper if you use it a lot, but both Rogers and Fido cost far too much for data for full use of this phone. We in Canada pay through the nose for data access.

Also, 3G UMTS is much preferred anyway if you're going to be surfing, etc.

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Think about what a good game system this phone can be:

1) Touchscreen (DS)
2) Motion detection (wii)
3) Large widescreen (PSP)
4) Wireless. Wifi and BT.
5) Bluetooth for add on controllers
No buttons.

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Why no iSight for video chat?
Need UMTS for that. That's why almost all the 'iSighted' phones are 3G.

Anyways, I was a little surprised they announced this today (yesterday's WSJ article notwithstanding). I had sold AAPL on the idea that they wouldn't release this phone until the summer or later, and thus wouldn't announce it until spring. Well, I was right on the release date, but wrong on the announce date.

Also, as others have said, this is the widescreen touchscreen iPod, but without a lot of space, for $$$$, no 3G UMTS (which both Cingular and Rogers and most of Europe now support), and likely a not-so-great camera.

Even if I could get this phone in Canada, I think I'll hold off... either for the next 16 GB iteration, or else a new widescreen touchscreen iPod without phone capabilities.
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: For me to know and you to find out....
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by davesimondotcom View Post
I think this signals a coming change in the US cellular market in general.
There's always been a change in the cellular market. Maybe, you should say a MAJOR change?

Heck, why doesn't Microsoft join the bandwagon and make their own smartphone as well? They attempted to do the so-called 'ipod-killer'.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:55 PM
 
I think what a lot of people here who are concerned about price and all that are missing is that this phone is not for everyone. This is not the average joe phone. This is a smart phone. Not everyone needs or even wants a smart phone. But there are those of us who do. And this is an AMAZING smart phone. Hands down the best. And its made by Apple. Sure, Cingular might suck, but give them a chance to work with Apple. Maybe Apple will push them to beef up their networks and technologies. You never know what's going on behind closed doors until the thing is actually released.

As far a price goes, if you compare the iPhone to other smart phones with similar options you might change your tune. And remember, this is an Apple product. That means you wont be struggling with it. You wont be struggling to use it. You wont be struggling to sync it to your Mac. It will work beautifully. That is guaranteed. That is worth a lot of money to me.

And I'm sure there will be an update to the "hard drive" iPods that use the wide screen, touch technology coming soon. They won't let that line of iPods die out or remain static, you can bet on that.

Like someone else said, this thing is the resurrection of the Newton, plus a lot more. This is what people wanted. And despite what many think is a high price tag, this thing will sell like mad.

But just remember, if this phone isn't for you, then its obviously going to be too expensive for you. Its obviously going to have features you'll never use. That's why you shouldn't get one.

As for me, I'll have one in my hands ASAP. This is what I've been waiting for. I am reserving my criticisms for the Cingular plan until I see what the actual plan is going to be. I have 5 months to save $600. Thats easy sauce.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:55 PM
 
Ok not going to read everyones posts but real quick 2 things

1) the term "iphone" is copywritten - lawsuit might happen. Check out iphone.com (i think netgear ownes it.)

2) the phone may never come out, read the fine print on the website - ""This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."

I am not saying its a bad idea but I can see this phone to be very delicate and not ment for the teenager who will throw there phone around. Its great there is no HD either.

And Cingular please dont get me started on that topic
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:56 PM
 
Does it have a flash?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
No buttons.
So? Touchscreen means no games? Better tell the DS.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
So? Touchscreen means no games? Better tell the DS.
You mean the DS which has buttons?



I'm sure someone will make a gaming add-on for the iPhone though. Not that I really care - I'm more interested in its other features.

P.S. I wonder how well fat-finger-texting will work on this phone. Probably OK, at least compared to standard numeric pad texting.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 05:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by molarszbt18 View Post
2) the phone may never come out, read the fine print on the website - ""This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."
When you see after a trailer, "This movie is not yet rated," does this lead you to wonder if maybe they just won't get around to rating the movie?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Palm and RIMS just took a dive.

Like every other keynote wait a few days and then apple will drop down.

I own an RIM (blackberry) and would not use any other device out there, no one has yet to beat the stability, ease of use and organization, and syncrobility (?) of this device. My g/f just got the pearl and loves it. Granted does not do MP3 but thats what an ipod is there for.
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Apr 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:02 PM
 
Originally Posted by molarszbt18 View Post
And Cingular please dont get me started on that topic
But cingular is the best carrier in the world
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: For me to know and you to find out....
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:02 PM
 
Originally Posted by molarszbt18 View Post
2) the phone may never come out, read the fine print on the website - ""This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."
Even so, if Apple is refused, they still have the chance to try this product in other countries.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
When you see after a trailer, "This movie is not yet rated," does this lead you to wonder if maybe they just won't get around to rating the movie?
The FCC does not rate movies, thats a diffrent area. If I am misunderstanding u please let me know
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: For me to know and you to find out....
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by Kevin Moon View Post
But cingular is the best carrier in the world
You can't say that, cingular isn't in Australia...
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:04 PM
 
BTW, I really dislike Blackberries. Always have.

I have not yet tried the Pearl though. I'm not a fan of its aesthetics, but looks aren't everything.

The iPhone looks pretty nice to me.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by PowerbookG3 View Post
Even so, if Apple is refused, they still have the chance to try this product in other countries.

If you have ever been to china/japan etc these countries already have the market with this stuff. Apple only has a pull in the US, I have a good thought as to why verizon didnt want it and may never want it
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Tech Digest: Nokia responds to Apple iPhone - 'it is a surprise that the iPhone is not 3G'
Yeah, me, too.

The missing UMTS is really weird. Everything is cutting edge, but this.

-t
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
You mean the DS which has buttons?
I was hoping you wouldn't embarrass yourself by saying that

there are plenty of games that don't use anything other than the touchscreen. Even if there WASN'T you couldn't imagine a game that only uses accelerometers and touch-screen?

Even the games on the iPod now don't need true A/B buttons.

Worse comes to worse you can plug in a adapter with 3 buttons on it onto the port on the bottom or even better bluetooth.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
BTW, I really dislike Blackberries. Always have.

I have not yet tried the Pearl though. I'm not a fan of its aesthetics, but looks aren't everything.

The iPhone looks pretty nice to me.

Ever look at the 7100 series, there a tiny bit bigger and I find them easier as well as just to mix business and personal on them is better then the pearl. The pearl is targeted at mid 20's and up and small business owners. The 7100 series does both very well
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yeah, me, too.

The missing UMTS is really weird. Everything is cutting edge, but this.

-t
I thought the same but with on the fly Wifi switching it shouldn't matter.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by molarszbt18 View Post
Ok not going to read everyones posts but real quick 2 things

1) the term "iphone" is copywritten - lawsuit might happen. Check out iphone.com (i think netgear ownes it.)

2) the phone may never come out, read the fine print on the website - ""This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."

I am not saying its a bad idea but I can see this phone to be very delicate and not ment for the teenager who will throw there phone around. Its great there is no HD either.

And Cingular please dont get me started on that topic

1) www.iphone.com gets -

"Internet Phone Company

This web site is temporary having lots of traffic from the launch of Apple iPhone.
We have taken down the page for now.

Please check back soon."

www.iphone.org gets the apple homepage and has done for years.

2) SJ said at the keynote that its released in June and has yet to go through FCC certification, which takes 2 months...

and as for not being meant for teenagers to throw around... its a $499 or $599 contract, hardly the market for teenagers phones, thats what Sidekicks are for.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:10 PM
 
The reaction reminds me a lot of the threads here when the iPod was released. The genius, Nile Crocodile, summed up everyones gripes with this post:

Yup. It will iFail. Here's why

1) Doesn't seem to work with PeeCees

2) No USB. Not ALL of us have FireWire you know.

3) Price price price. $400? Not these days. Apple PRICE! PRICE MAN COME ON PRICE IS IMPORTANT. I DON'T CARE HOW SUPER COOL IT IS IF PEOPLE DON'T HAVE THE MONEY THEY WONT BUY IT.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:10 PM
 
Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I think what a lot of people here who are concerned about price and all that are missing is that this phone is not for everyone. This is not the average joe phone. This is a smart phone. Not everyone needs or even wants a smart phone. But there are those of us who do. And this is an AMAZING smart phone. Hands down the best. And its made by Apple. Sure, Cingular might suck, but give them a chance to work with Apple. Maybe Apple will push them to beef up their networks and technologies. You never know what's going on behind closed doors until the thing is actually released.

As far a price goes, if you compare the iPhone to other smart phones with similar options you might change your tune. And remember, this is an Apple product. That means you wont be struggling with it. You wont be struggling to use it. You wont be struggling to sync it to your Mac. It will work beautifully. That is guaranteed. That is worth a lot of money to me.

And I'm sure there will be an update to the "hard drive" iPods that use the wide screen, touch technology coming soon. They won't let that line of iPods die out or remain static, you can bet on that.

Like someone else said, this thing is the resurrection of the Newton, plus a lot more. This is what people wanted. And despite what many think is a high price tag, this thing will sell like mad.

But just remember, if this phone isn't for you, then its obviously going to be too expensive for you. Its obviously going to have features you'll never use. That's why you shouldn't get one.

As for me, I'll have one in my hands ASAP. This is what I've been waiting for. I am reserving my criticisms for the Cingular plan until I see what the actual plan is going to be. I have 5 months to save $600. Thats easy sauce.

It's not the best until some people test its reception, battery life, comfort in using as a phone, clarity... These are very significant things, IMHO.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
there are plenty of games that don't use anything other than the touchscreen. Even if there WASN'T you couldn't imagine a game that only uses accelerometers and touch-screen?
Yeah, I'm not saying that gaming isn't possible on the iPhone. I'm saying it's not ideal, and hence the DS has buttons. Certainly the games I prefer generally require buttons. But like I said, I'm not really interested in phone gaming all that much. I'd be happy with minigolf and a stuff like that to be honest, as long as it had more space for movies.

P.S. The phone geeks over at Howard Forums are pretty split on this phone, for similar reasons as me: Cost, low storage (for an iPod), no 3G UMTS, and various other things.

One thing I didn't think of though: Does this phone have replaceable batteries? I always have at least 2 batteries for my phones, in case I run out of juice when I'm in the middle of nowhere.


Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
The reaction reminds me a lot of the threads here when the iPod was released. The genius, Nile Crocodile, summed up everyones gripes with this post:

Yup. It will iFail. Here's why

1) Doesn't seem to work with PeeCees

2) No USB. Not ALL of us have FireWire you know.

3) Price price price. $400? Not these days. Apple PRICE! PRICE MAN COME ON PRICE IS IMPORTANT. I DON'T CARE HOW SUPER COOL IT IS IF PEOPLE DON'T HAVE THE MONEY THEY WONT BUY IT.
Actually, most of the posts here are pretty positive on the iPhone. People aren't saying the iPhone will fail. It doesn't mean everyone wants one though.

Same goes for the phone geeks. Most seem impressed with the phone, but a lot feel it doesn't fit their needs or budget. This is a very different response than when the first iPod came out.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
1) www.iphone.com gets -

"Internet Phone Company

This web site is temporary having lots of traffic from the launch of Apple iPhone.
We have taken down the page for now.

Please check back soon."

Apple gets the apple homepage and has done for years.

2) SJ said at the keynote that its released in June and has yet to go through FCC certification, which takes 2 months...

and as for not being meant for teenagers to throw around... its a $499 or $599 contract, hardly the market for teenagers phones, thats what Sidekicks are for.

yes sorry about that...btw linksys ownes the name iphone aka cisco... I am not sure if they trademarketed it as Skype iPhone or just iPhone




UPDATE: "Cisco, their parent company, has owned that trademark since 1996."
     
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NY²
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by molarszbt18 View Post
2) the phone may never come out, read the fine print on the website - ""This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."
In the keynote Steve said it would be released in June because the FCC authorization takes 2 months.
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tasmania
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by PowerbookG3 View Post
I reckon when it reaches australia, it isn't going to be much of a success.

Apple should just stay at where they are good at, because there are other companies that specialise at smart phones
Bollocks, it will do well here i think. If it only devalues a quarter as fast as other mobiles then the price should come down a bit in that six month gap we have to wait.

And as for apple sticking to what they know, well the iPod counters that point pretty easily. My current phone is a SE m600i, not a bad phone, but not great either, and have used a few blackberrys which i found crap. IMHO the smartphone companies are not providing a good product and the iPhone is going to pants their offerings.

I'll be getting one for sure.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Near Antietam Creek
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by molarszbt18 View Post
The FCC does not rate movies, thats a diffrent area. If I am misunderstanding u please let me know
edit: Others caught the FCC approval----

I've just been given a Blackberry (Nextel) by my employer and find that it has one of the most assinine input methods. I realize that I'll become used to it, but getting used to it, to me, means it's counter-intuitive. I will say that I'm almost 40, and that, much to my chagrin, I'm getting too old for RIM's new-fangled ways. And much to my chagrin that I'm turning 40.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It's not the best until some people test its reception, battery life, comfort in using as a phone, clarity... These are very significant things, IMHO.
I agree, I take back my blanket praise for that. I was basing that opinion on the features listed. But you're right, it must be tested in the field before the tag of "the best" can be given.

But I'm still gettin one!
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2007, 06:20 PM
 
Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I agree, I take back my blanket praise for that. I was basing that opinion on the features listed. But you're right, it must be tested in the field before the tag of "the best" can be given.

But I'm still gettin one!

If it gets bad reviews in these areas, would you still get one?
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2