Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Forget the iPhone. Just give us a new widescreen video iPod.

Forget the iPhone. Just give us a new widescreen video iPod. (Page 5)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2007, 02:41 PM

Wasn't that iPhone nano rumor debunked?

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Wasn't that iPhone nano rumor debunked?
I was just posting what the Washington Post reported. True though they don't seem particularly sure about it. However...

DigiTimes: Touchscreen WiPod with NAND flash is coming

The new iPod video will also come with a wide-screen panel, high storage capacity and Wi-Fi connectivity, the sources indicated. In addition, the new iPod video is expected to be powered by NAND flash, instead of a hard disk drive (HDD).

Apple's new products will also include a new iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle, to cash in on the upcoming Christmas season, stated the sources, who also noted that sales of the new iPod series is expected to total 22-23 million units in the fourth quarter of this year.

Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 03:17 PM

iPod nano:
Will be the stumpy thing that has been seen.
Will have the same features as the current iPod video (ie. video player and iPod games) and coverflow view on screen.
4,8,16Gb

iPod:
The iPod, if it turns up on the 5th, will be the 'iPhone without the phone' we've been waiting for.
Music, photo and video player.
Notes, address book and calendar editable on the iPod.
New iPod touch screen games for iPod and iPhone on iTunes.
40,80,120Gb hard drives.

Personally, I don't think it will get any camera, wifi or internet features.

Sep 3, 2007, 04:21 PM

I'd like to see BlueTooth far more than I'd like to see WiFi. Unless they start making WiFi headphones, anyway.
WhiteBook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 250GB WD Scorpio HD
Wireless Mighty Mouse, Logitech S530 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Hyundia 22" LCD
80GB Apple HD in Omata USB Caddy, 500GB FreeCom NAS formatted as HFS+ so no longer NAS
M-Audio Ozonic keyboard, M-Audio Solaris microphone, M-Audio BX5a speakers, Logic Studio

Senior User
Sep 3, 2007, 09:38 PM

If we do get a touch-screen iPod with WiFi, I find it hard to believe that Apple would exclude any browsing/email capabilities, and limit it to wireless streaming or iTunes Store purchases.

We have to remember that iPods are still one of Apple's breadwinners. They want to stay ahead of the competition. And by including what amounts to a cheap hardware component, and software they've already developed for the iPhone, they will be placing the iPod years ahead of any other PMP offerings. All the other media players would pale in comparison to the iPod's rich web browsing capabilities, if Apple were to endow it with such.

Sure, that would eat into the iPhone's pie a little bit. But I keep on thinking about Steve's comments regarding the opposite effect that people were predicting regarding the iPhone taking sales away from the iPod: He much prefers an Apple product cannibalizing other Apple products. Not only that, but iPhone revenue, just like the iTMS, is limited to countries in which they can set up deals with local providers. By selling a web-capable WiFi iPod, Apple can capitalize on its technologies through hardware sales world-wide, likely outperforming all of the combined iPhone revenue for quite some time.

But let's entertain the thought that there was a browserless OSX WiFi iPod for a moment. One of either two things would happen: Either the hardware and OS on the iPod would be similar enough to the iPhone that simply copying over the apps would give it the desired functionality; or, to a much cruder effect, the dev community would port over open-source browsers (even WebKit) for use on the iPod. Consumers will still win in the end.

Because, let's face it, if the hardware and OS are flexible enough, the developer community will fill in the gaps in Apple's offerings, with or without their help, as has been demonstrated by the daily progress made by developers and hackers on the iPhone.

Still, I don't rule out the possibility of an iPod sans WiFi, and I'd probably still consider purchasing one if the interface functionality and ability to write apps for it was similar to the iPhone.

Whatever, we'll all find out in roughly 72 hours!
( Last edited by Visnaut; Sep 4, 2007 at 07:40 AM. )

Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2007, 02:53 AM

Visnaut, I wish you are so right

cheers
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2007, 10:09 PM

Hmmm... MS seems concerned, as they're dropping $50 off the price of the Zune. Not that it will matter.

Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 04:16 PM

Ask, and ye shall receive...

Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 04:56 PM

Wow, all this time spent discussing on this thread, and Apple gives us exactly what I would want in the iPod touch...

...but now I'd rather get an iPhone because of the price drop!

Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 05:25 PM

Ok, my two cents....

I can live with 16 GB, 32 GB would do the trick for me so much easier. But I will still miss Mail

This is a software update away, I wish that people complains and it is added in the near future.

Sleek design, but don;t you agree there's so much room in "desktop" UI for more applications?

On one hand I'm happy for the design, Safari and some other wifi abilities, still short of memory, and no Mail.

I do not give a sh#t! about Starbucks. I use to go when wifi was available free, but these days I rather have my coffee in a local place, preferably an Italian place. Starbucks coffee is completely over rated and too expensive. The brand is a MacDonald's in the rising.

The pleasure of having a good coffee was ruined in this chain, I love Europe just because their old style cafeterias. Better coffee (not that is cheap though).
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2007, 11:31 PM

OMG. I was in the Tucson La Encantada Apple Store today... and didn't realize the 8 GB iPhone was only $399, cuz I was on a plane all day.

The 16 WiPod seems like a good fit for me but now that the iPhone is only $399, I will consider going that route instead.

I have until Friday to buy. Hmmm...

P.S. I tried the iPhone today for the first time (since we don't have the iPhone in Canada). Well, Safari crashed after 1 minute of use. Not good.

Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The 16 WiPod seems like a good fit for me but now that the iPhone is only $399, I will consider going that route instead.
How you going to unlock it if so? The route I took isn't available anymore.

As for safari, ya it crashes but not that often. It got way better with the 1.01 update so the iPhone you used might have been an old OS.

Even though 1 crash on your first use isn't something to draw a "safari is unstable" mindset.

I think the iPod Touch is great.. but Mail, camera and Google maps is worth a ton for me.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2007, 12:35 AM

I'm still leaning toward the 16 GB iTouch though cuz:

1) I don't really want to deal with all the iPhone hack stuff (which would add $100 to the price too).
2) 16 GB is OK. As I said before, 32 GB is much preferred, but 8 GB is too low.
3) My current phone has a somewhat better camera, although not that much better.

So, in other words, you agree that form is function, which was my original statement.

While I agree that some people would be annoyed if Apple replaced the 80 GB iPod with a 32 GB thin flash-based one, I hope they do it. I don't expect them to, but I think that would be an awesome upgrade over the previous design (which is far too bulky). The annoyed ones would just have to wait until later when the 64 GB model came out. Or they could buy an 80 GB model on closeout for cheap.

Now, 16 GB would be more problematic for the max size, but like I said, I'm rather own one of those (if the form was significantly better) than a 40 GB iPod.
So like I said, I'm glad that people are annoyed with the turn of events... cuz I mostly got what I want. However, like we also said, those who don't want the WiPod can still get a hard drive iPod classic, and up to 160 GB now too.

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES
I think the iPod Touch is great.. but Mail, camera and Google maps is worth a ton for me.
Yeah, I expected them to leave out the camera, but leaving out Mail and Google Maps is stupid. That said, you can check via Safari. More of a pain, but apparently it works (at least it does on the iPhone).
( Last edited by Eug; Sep 6, 2007 at 12:43 AM. )

Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 01:19 PM

I'm selling my iPod. I want more. (I'll use my iPod mini for the time being.)

However, I don't want the current iPhone. It's moot anyway, since I'm not in the US (and don't want a 2-year contract either).

I wish Apple would release a widescreen video iPod already. It's been a long time coming. It'd be cool with the WiFi and PDA-like features utilizing a touch screen, but not a requirement, especially if I could get one for US$249.

And don't tell me the iPhone IS the widescreen video iPod, cuz it isn't. Not when it costs $600 or 8 GB anyway.

Here's hoping for an August release. BTW, it's been 39 weeks since the last significant iPod update.
Ok. I have to ask all of you that were on the same boat... what happened?
It seems the iPod Touch is exactly what you guys were asking for but I don't see many of you buying it after it came out.

You got everything you ask for and even 32 gigs over the 16 but still no sale. Why? $50 to expensive?

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 01:34 PM

No, 32 gigs is too small.

Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 01:36 PM

32GB does look good, but I've got other things to pay and spend money on at the moment, and there might be an update in June alongside the iPhone. Its still on the list, and high up on the list, but not just yet, nothing wrong with the iPod, just not now for me personally.

Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Ok. I have to ask all of you that were on the same boat... what happened?
It seems the iPod Touch is exactly what you guys were asking for but I don't see many of you buying it after it came out.

You got everything you ask for and even 32 gigs over the 16 but still no sale. Why? $50 to expensive?
Ha ha. Blast from the past. With only about half my CD collection encoded to AACs, plus iTunes purchases, don't even mention vinyl -- but I'm not much for digitizing vinyl -- 32GB is indeed to small. 80GB would perhaps serve for a while, if I stuck to a tiny amount of video. 160GB if I want to keep video + a video out cable for the kids when we travel.

So, the straight answer, I remembered when I was a kid, we traveled a lot, a took five cassette tapes an original Japanese model Walkman. I knew every song on album tape backwards and forwards, I loved them, and that was the basis for my passion for, and often encyclopedic knowledge, of kinds of music, as well as my continuing as a hobbyist to play and compose music long after I went to college and stopped piano instruction and recitals (I was just never going to be at the level of concert pianist, you know).

The day this dawned on me, I skipped off and bought an 8GB iPhone. Love it. Wife made it 48 hours before she had to have one. I still don't like cell phones. We're pushing 5,000 rollover minutes. I keep it in "airplane mode" most of the time. But it's there when I need it, to call out or for my wife, older child or close friends to call me. I use Google Maps more as a phone directory for stores than a map, so I can call ahead for stock status. I no longer feel housebound (home-studio bound, I guess) when I'm waiting on an important e-mail. Safari has made me one lethal bargain shopper around town. I've even been known to send a couple SMS every month.

I like being able to flop out for a semi-doze in the afternoon, remember there's an album I've been wanting to buy it, buy it on the iPhone, back to airplane mode and start listening after a minute or two of download.

YouTube even gets some use for music pre-listening before purchase, when I'm out and see an album that looks interesting but I have no idea about the artist, and the store won't open listening copies.

I manage playlists, load up and listen to a lot of great albums repeatedly, cut back when I need to carry hotel/cabin/beach house TV-viewable movies for the kids.

In short, remember the the Fonz from"Happy Days"? I was wr... wro... wron... wrong.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 02:17 PM

For me, it was the large price drop on the iPhone that did it for me. I figured if they could do that with the iPhone EDGE, then the "imminent" 3G iPhone might just be reasonably priced.

I will get a 3G iPhone if it's got reasonable storage, doesn't cost too much, and if it either is available in Canada for a good price or if it's easily hackable.

Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2008, 03:38 PM

For me, it was the large price drop on the iPhone that did it for me. I figured if they could do that with the iPhone EDGE, then the "imminent" 3G iPhone might just be reasonably priced.

I will get a 3G iPhone if it's got reasonable storage, doesn't cost too much, and if it either is available in Canada for a good price or if it's easily hackable.
I would expect the the 3G iPhone won't be too out-priced. EDGE vs. 3G data speeds don't matter to me, so I won't be upgrading until there are software features I want but can't use with my original 8GB -- even they if they allow iTunes Store over 3G here in the States, which I sorta doubt, that won't count me in -- or it just needs to be replaced in several years for wear. It will probably be the latter, as I don't foresee anything that would benefit me that won't be something I can't buy with the new iTunes Apps store. Honestly, I'm pretty well covered for a long time, and would rather spend iPhone upgrade money on the house or, if it's purely personal, some new music gear.

Forum Links
Forum Rules