Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > An app called DOT.TUNES lets you access your iTunes remotely with your iPhone

An app called DOT.TUNES lets you access your iTunes remotely with your iPhone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2007, 01:14 PM

I found an application called DOT.TUNES that lets you get your entire iTunes library on your iPhone.

I've had it running on my iPhone since i got it and I've been watching movies, playing all of the songs from my library, videos, everything.

You can check it out at DOT.TUNES™ :: Free Your Tunes™.

I combed through the posting rules and I'm not sure if this link qualifies as an attachment.

If it does, I apologize, but I wasn't sure of how else to let forum members know about it.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2007, 02:13 PM

Looks pretty interesting. I am too lame (busy) to try it, so I'll wait for someone else to try it and let us know how it is.

Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2007, 02:23 PM

I used to use it a few years ago (when it was a pay program) back then you could share your library online and allow downloading of your songs. I, err.... my friends would share with all my other friends and it was sweet.

Now the program is free i guess, but you can't download anymore which may be good for some people, looks cool to have all the access on my iphone since I can' fit all my music on it...

Administrator
Aug 28, 2007, 05:35 PM

Links are ok, but your post smells a lot like spam... I'm just sayin'...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2007, 06:42 PM

I've been looking for apps for my iPhone since I got it exactly a month ago. The stuff I found (by googling 'iPhone apps' and 'iPhone music') were really square, like more maps, gas use calculator, travel calculator and stuff like that.

I started looking at iPhone forums to see what apps other iPhone users were recommending, but still hadn't come across anything. So when I came across DOT.TUNES, I was like 'do I post it or not?' because most forums don't want spam. But I really didn't think it was because it was an app that I thought that iPhone users could actually use!

Seriously, if you've got an 8 gig iPhone, how much music can you really put on it? Its like a high priced Shuffle or Nano.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
I used to use it a few years ago (when it was a pay program) back then you could share your library online and allow downloading of your songs. I, err.... my friends would share with all my other friends and it was sweet.

Now the program is free i guess, but you can't download anymore which may be good for some people, looks cool to have all the access on my iphone since I can' fit all my music on it...
You can definitely download. There are a bunch of different plug-ins which control different aspects of what you can or cannot do, but as long as you give the users you set up permission to download, they can.

Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Links are ok, but your post smells a lot like spam... I'm just sayin'...
His posts. I think he is a spammer. Food for thought.
Signature depreciated.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
His posts. I think he is a spammer. Food for thought.
That's a joke, right?

Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2007, 08:40 PM

Apparently the Dot.Tunes people subscribe to the "give the car away but charge for the tires, windows, steering wheel and engine" philosophy . The program is free, but there are 20+ plugins that add functionality (some of which you would think should be included in the program itself, like album art, although they did give the code for that plugin for free when I downloaded the program). My main point of interest is the iPhone plugin. It costs $20 and apparently gives you an iPhone-optimized interface for the program. I'm pretty reluctant to drop $20 on something I can't try out, though.

Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2007, 08:55 PM

OK, you can actually test drive the iPhone interface by going to:

Dot.Tunes

I also found that they are selling the iPhone plugin today only for $10 instead of $20. I may actually get it and see how it works.

Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2007, 10:06 PM

I paid for the plugin about an hour ago. Still haven't gotten my activation key, so I can't say how it works yet. But the free version of the software is actually fairly useable on the iPhone. I was able to play videos with quality indistinguishable from those on the iPhone itself. (This was over wi-fi and on my own network, however. I couldn't get the video to start when playing over EDGE. I'm also going to try a public wi-fi hotspot tonight to see if there is any difference.)

This looks like it will be a fantastic program, although I'm not sure if it is able to play the next song on the list after the current one finishes. From my experimenting, it looks like it's a "select one song and play it" type of functionality. If that's the case, it wouldn't be a very good replacement for the iPhone's iPod functionality. But even so, being able to access all of my ripped TV shows and movies is just great.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2007, 10:41 PM

Wow, that does sound pretty good. Thanks for testing it out! Please let us know if you find anything else about it. I'm definitely going to give this a closer look.

Moderator Emeritus
Sep 1, 2007, 01:12 AM

Well, I've got the code for the iPhone version, and I've had nothing but trouble with it so far. I'd hold off on it for the moment. I can't get it to even function properly.

Moderator Emeritus
Sep 1, 2007, 04:31 AM

I managed to get the iPhone portal working, apparently by setting up an account for myself. Although the non-iPhone portal works fine without setting up a user, it seems that if you don't do this when using the iPhone portal, everything takes FOREVER to process, with the DOT.TUNES application locking up for minutes at a time. I can sort of use it now, but it's kind of hit-and-miss. For example, there will always be some artwork previews that don't get loaded (they remain question marks) and sometimes clicking on a song or video won't result in it starting, but if you try it again it will work. With regard to the iPhone features, it definitely feels like a beta or maybe even earlier. That said, if they can get it working like they obviously intend it to, it will be great. It's useful even as it is, if you can work around its problems.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2007, 03:36 PM

Thanks for testing this for us icruise. Like you said, sounds as if they still have some work to do on this app, but it holds a lot of potential. This is something I'd definitely use if it worked well.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2007, 03:20 PM

Hi there all

I've been spending the morning researching buying an iphone, which is largely hinging on whether or not I can get access to all my music through some plugin or website, rather than be restricted to 8gb.
What about mediamaster.com (which sounds similar to dot.tunes)? Would the iPhone allow you to access that?

Thanks all.

Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2007, 03:46 PM

The difference between that and Dot.Tunes is that you actually upload your music to the mediamaster servers. I don't know whether it will work on the iPhone. It depends if it uses Flash or not. (EDIT: It apparently does use Flash, so I think it's no-go, unless they have a simplified version of their site.)

Moderator Emeritus
Sep 4, 2007, 05:53 AM

I've got Dot.Tunes working pretty reliably now. The thing I mentioned about having to create a user for yourself is still true, but in addition, you need to make sure that your library isn't too big. It choked on my regular library (25,000+ songs and videos) so I created a secondary iTunes library just for Dot.Tunes with only my videos in it (something like 3000 of them). They also released an update today that helps (partially because it allows you to disable the display of album art on the iPhone).

Although the non-iPhone version of the interface does allow you to "play all" of a group of songs, the iPhone version seems limited to playing one song at a time, so at the moment I don't see the point in using it for music. However, videos are much longer and played one at a time anyway, so it works well for that. As I said before, the quality is indistinguishable from videos on the iPhone, and they start playing immediately. You can theoretically play videos over EDGE, but you have to wait a LONG time (I'm guessing 5 to 10 minutes) for them to properly buffer or else you'll be stopping and starting a lot.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2007, 12:44 PM

25,000+ songs???

Moderator Emeritus
Sep 4, 2007, 12:48 PM

Well, I have a lot of audio books and old-time radio shows in addition to "songs."

Forum Links
Forum Rules