Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How to contact management at Apple?

How to contact management at Apple?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 03:56 PM

I have a problem with Apple. I am an Apple fan, have all Apple computers, two iPod Nano 8GB and two iPhones. I had a problem with my first iPhone so I sent it in under warranty and Apple sent me a loaner phone. The loaner phone was beaten up and looked as though it had been dropped. It worked, I used it for a day or two and bought a second iPhone for my wife and used that phone , not the loaner phone - while the defective phone was in the shop. I assumed that being a loaner phone it would be well worn and thought nothing of it as my Treo loaner phone was in worse shape than the iPhone and that was several years ago. I returned the loaner iPhone 3-weeks ago and just received an e-mail stating I would be billed for the replacement cost of the phone ($249.99) due to damage. I did not damage the loaner phone and when I tried to get information about what was done to the phone, who had the phone at Apple and for an invoice of the repair charges I was told that information is not available. I asked that since the phone was replaced (or at least I was charged for the replacement cost of the phone) can I please get the damaged phone back since I was billed for it...guess what? They cannot do that!

I am not about to be charged for any product I did not damage let alone one they cannot provide details of! They cannot tell me what was wrong with the loaner phone, if it worked when he phone was returned or an invoice for the damage and/or repairs to the loaner phone. I was 'allowed' to talk with a top-level Apple Care representative who did nothing but apologize for my perceived problem as to her it was not a problem that Apple is trying to reach into my pocket and take $250. She did offer my wife 1/2 the fee refunded but half and something that is unjust is not good enough!

How do I contact Apple and speak with management about this issue? She refused to give me the legal departments number or the main switchboard for Apple so I could leave a voice-mail for someone in customer care management. Can anyone help? I feel powerless and extremely disappointed in a company I have championed for years. I have spent over $9k in the last 5-years with Apple and this is how I am repaid?

Please, any help would be appreciated. Also - refrain from telling that is what I get for sending in a damaged iPhone as that is not correct. Should I have called Apple to tell them a loaner phone was rough? I did not think so as they sent it to me in that condition! Also, I tried to work within regular channels only to get absolutely nowhere. What a way to start a 4-day weekend!

Darren
( Last edited by DDT_JMT; Nov 21, 2007 at 09:58 PM. )

Senior User
Nov 21, 2007, 06:38 PM

Since the calls to Apple didn't seem to work, I would go through the California branch of the Better Business Bureau. I've only had to go to the BBB twice (once with Gateway, once with Apple) and it is amazing how quickly problems get resolved.

Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 06:41 PM

Yes, you probably should have called apple to tell them the loaner was rough. Do not assume that the peon stuffing things into boxes is paying attention or even cares.

Also, something smells fishy here.

You only get a loaner phone when you send one in for repair (and pay the fee). Why did you feel the need to buy a new phone, when you would have your original phone sent back to you? Even if your phone was returned within the 14-day return period, you'd still have to pay the restocking fee ($40), since you opened it. That's more than the Apple loaner phone fee, which you've already paid! At minimum now, you're out $40 - and that's IF AppleCare covered your repair, and you were able to return the new phone within 14 days.

Second, what happened to your original phone? The one you sent in for repairs? You never gave any clear resolution on that point. What was the damage on it that required repair? Are you certain that damage would be covered under AppleCare?

It sounds like you are only being charged for a replacement for the damaged phone you sent in for repair ("I asked that is the phone was replaced can I please get the damaged phone back"), and you're confused about which phone, the loaner or your original, you are being charged for. At least, I know I am.

In short, we're not getting the whole story.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2007, 07:57 PM

Sounds to me like its going to be your word against theirs, but I think that they will be the ones responsible for producing proof that the iPhone you returned was damaged. I'm sure this sort of stipulation (charging a fee of $250 for a returned iPhone that is damaged) is in the License Agreement somewhere. It may be worded such that any perceived damage, even something very small like a dinged up edge (which happens easily) can be considered enough damage to charge the fee for.

I would take frdmfghtr's advice and go to the BBB. Don't be surprised though if you find that you have no legal basis for your complaint. I'm not saying that will be the case, but you would be surprised to find out what exactly is in those License Agreements. Apple spends a lot of cash to make sure those things cover all the bases.

Good luck.

DDT_JMT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Earth Mk. II View Post
Yes, you probably should have called apple to tell them the loaner was rough. Do not assume that the peon stuffing things into boxes is paying attention or even cares.

Also, something smells fishy here.
What is fishy, again? I sent my defective iPhone to Apple to get repaired. While the defective iPhone was in the shop I bought a second iPhone for my wife. We just used that phone instead of the loaner phone. What is wrong with that? There was no need to use a loaner phone with APPLE LOANER PHONE all over the unit. I am being charged for damage to the LOANER PHONE. I realize I am not the smartest person on the block but I did do well in college. I re-read the original post and I still think it was pretty clear. Apple is charging me for damage to the loaner phone THEY sent ME while my new but defective phone was in the shop. Understand? I am not trying to be rude but I am not keeping anything from anyone nor am I hiding something because it may sound 'fishy'. Apple cannot provide me with an invoice for the repairs to the 'damaged' loaner phone nor why it took three-weeks to determine there was damage to the phone. How I am supposed to take the word of Apple when they cannot provide an invoice to me for the damage, who determined the phone was damaged, if the phone worked when they received it and who had the phone between when it was returned and when the damage was noticed! THREE WEEKS WENT BY! Who knows how many hands had that I phone pass through them! I cannot even get them to give me the LEGAL DEPARTMENT phone number or the main switchboard information!

I did send an e-mail to sjobs@mac.com and sjobs@apple.com. Fat luck I will have with that! I am not sure why I even sent an e-mail to Uncle Steve as I am sure he will never lay eyes on it!

I now have two iPhones that work well...only I am being charged for the replacement of one (the loaner phone). I was sent a picture of the damage and it was there when the phone was sent to me...and it is MINOR to say the least. I asked for the damaged phone since I was charged for its replacement - but that is not going to happen.

Thank you for the BBB suggestion. I will try that next.

Happy Thanksgiving...Darren
( Last edited by DDT_JMT; Nov 21, 2007 at 09:33 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2007, 09:37 PM

I think it was just the way you worded it in your original post. I had to read it a couple of times.

So, you are being charged for damage done to the loaner iPhone that they had given you while they repaired yours?

DDT_JMT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I think it was just the way you worded it in your original post. I had to read it a couple of times.

So, you are being charged for damage done to the loaner iPhone that they had given you while they repaired yours?
That is correct. They feel I damaged the loaner iPhone they sent me while mine was in the shop. I did not damage the phone - so I think they can take their charges and cram 'em! I filed a complaint with the BBB just now, as suggested. I am not sure that will accomplish anything. I did dispute the charges on my CC today. I will see where that leads me.

Who knows...this entire thing is like pulling a tooth with no Novocaine! And yes, you are correct regarding the initial post - I was pissed and frustrated when I wrote it. I knew what I was trying to say, but since you are not me you would not know what I was trying to say. I guess it would make more sense if you knew the story in advance .

Thanks for the info...Darren

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2007, 10:20 PM

Oh wow, I misunderstood and didn't know it was the loaner that they are claiming damages on. That's pretty bad in my opinion, unless the damage was extreme, which it sounds like it wasn't (if there was any new damage at all that is). Its a loaner, which by definition gets passed around a lot, so claiming that much in damages is pretty ridiculous.

I hope you get it resolved on some level, either through the BBB or at least get your money back from your credit company.

Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 10:28 PM

Sorry, no offense was intended. If I came off aggressively, it's because I honestly misunderstood your tone and the events. Apologies.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

DDT_JMT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Earth Mk. II View Post
Sorry, no offense was intended. If I came off aggressively, it's because I honestly misunderstood your tone and the events. Apologies.
No worries...it was I who was at fault. As usual (at least according to my wife) I was not clear and cogent when making my argument. I was not offended. I was just so upset over the situation that I could not see straight yesterday. I am a little better today with turkey and football around the corner!

My wife took the phone from me yesterday and was able to get more information from Elizabeth (the Apple support rep) that I was. I maintained my composure but I was very agitated. Thank God for my wife! She stepped up and helped out big-time yesterday.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I will keep everyone posted on my progress.

Darren

Forum Links
Forum Rules