Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Auto Power on/off for iPhone?

Auto Power on/off for iPhone?
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2008, 08:43 PM

Anyone know if this can be accomplished?

I loved this feature on my previous phone where I could set it to automatically turn off at a certain hour and power on at a certain hour (so it wasn't wasting battery life while I was sleeping).

Can it be done on an iPhone?

Dave

Mar 11, 2008, 03:05 AM

No

but if it is jailbroken then possibly, mines not jailbroken so i wouldn't know
From the one, and Only Travis Reynolds. You stay classy San Diego

Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2008, 01:49 PM

Seems crazy that this feature is not possible.

Thanks. I have not jailbroken my iPhone yet. Was waiting to hear Apple's SDK announcement. Now that we know it will be late June at the earliest, I might finally do it.

Does anyone know if this can be done on a jailbroken iPhone?

With this feature I bet I can save myself having to replace the battery for at least an additional year.

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2008, 02:15 PM

With a jailbroken phone, I'm sure shutdown could be called at a scheduled time. The problem would be starting it back up. I tried setting an alarm, then shutting down the phone. The alarm didn't go off with the phone off, so that didn't wake it back up. There may be a scheduled power on feature similar to the Macs, but it's not exposed in the normal software it seems.
<This space under renovation>

Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2008, 03:06 PM

Thanks. With my Blackberry I have it set to turn off at 11PM and on at 5:15AM and my alarm goes of sometime thereafter. It works beautifully. Can't believe this is something that could not be implemented (or why apple has not thought to implement it) into the iPhone.

Unless they are looking to drive down battery life and increase battery replacement. Sure it would be a revenue source for them, but I would think it would relatively minor in comparison to people's testimonials "I'm going 3 days without having to charge my battery."

Right now I'm screwed (would not make it through a second day) if I don't charge my phone every night and I'm not even a heavy user. (Have it set to auto brightness, bluetooth is off etc.)

Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2008, 03:57 PM

Every night? Wow. I'd say there's something wrong with your phone then.

iPods are designed to sleep. If you're going to actually go so far as to turn them off, they're going to stay off until they're reactivated.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Every night? Wow. I'd say there's something wrong with your phone then.

iPods are designed to sleep. If you're going to actually go so far as to turn them off, they're going to stay off until they're reactivated.
This is one of my beefs with the iPhone, as well - I'd like to be able to turn it OFF overnight (i.e. not be available), but still have the alarm wake me in the morning.

I suppose merely putting it into airplane mode is an adequate substitute, though.

Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
This is one of my beefs with the iPhone, as well - I'd like to be able to turn it OFF overnight (i.e. not be available), but still have the alarm wake me in the morning.

I suppose merely putting it into airplane mode is an adequate substitute, though.
Be interesting to know how much power an iphone is using in certain modes. Is airplane mode the most energy efficient mode?

My typical daily usage is the following:
- about 30 minutes of wifi web browsing,
- email is set to check every 15 minutes...I know I could reduce this but what's the point of having email on your phone if you don't know you got something unless you manually check? (how much power is this really using anyway?)
- maybe 30-60 minutes worth of calls.
- maybe 30 minutes of ipod use. (still use my 80 gig ipod more for music)
-auto lock after 1 minute

With the above and leaving it on (but locked) overnight would easily put me below 50% from a full charge. Are you saying that is not typical?

If not, do you have suggestions (short of bringing it to Apple?

Reconditioning the battery is merely draining it completely and recharging right?

Dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules