Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Bestest App store item ever!

Bestest App store item ever!
Thread Tools
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MacNN database error. Please refresh your browser.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2008, 02:05 AM
 
I wish I had thought of it.


This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2008, 11:10 AM
 
I wish Apple hadn't wasted space on their App store with it.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2008, 11:20 AM
 
I read somewhere that one guy was planning to offer an app that does the same but is called "I Am Smart" and costs only 99¢.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2008, 12:17 PM
 
And yet, the useful app for tethering was removed from the store. Way to go, Apple.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: New York, NY, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2008, 12:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
And yet, the useful app for tethering was removed from the store. Way to go, Apple.
AT&T's terms of use strictly prohibit tethering the iPhone.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2008, 12:49 PM
 
Sh&t i pressed buy by accident!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2008, 01:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by eggman View Post
I wish Apple hadn't wasted space on their App store with it.
Yeah, that whole 0.1MB of space is really gonna drag the service down.
     
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2008, 01:36 PM
 
After careful investigation I have come to the conclusion that this App is a ripoff!

"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Near Antietam Creek
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2008, 01:41 PM
 
That iTunes account is locked and loaded for impulse buying: $480.79. Yet, not enough for I Am Rich (B1tch!)
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2008, 02:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
AT&T's terms of use strictly prohibit tethering the iPhone.
Which is of course entirely irrelevant because Apple also pulled it from international stores. In many countries tethering is perfectly ok. Yet Apple pulled it everywhere. Duh.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2008, 02:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by moep View Post
After careful investigation I have come to the conclusion that this App is a ripoff!
As wrong as these statements usually are for Macs they are wrong here as well. Subtract the typical European VAT of 19%-25% from €799 and you're pretty much exactly at $999. There is no conspiracy.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: New York, NY, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2008, 03:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Which is of course entirely irrelevant because Apple also pulled it from international stores. In many countries tethering is perfectly ok. Yet Apple pulled it everywhere. Duh.
There is one app store, so if an app gets pulled here, it gets pulled everywhere. Dontcha love de facto telecom monopolies?
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2008, 04:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
There is one app store, so if an app gets pulled here, it gets pulled everywhere. Dontcha love de facto telecom monopolies?
I disagree. Some apps are available in some countries, others in others. If it would have been solely because of AT&T they could have just stopped selling it in the US store. Apple chose not to do that. No wonder. Because it's about Apple, not AT&T.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2008, 05:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I disagree. Some apps are available in some countries, others in others. If it would have been solely because of AT&T they could have just stopped selling it in the US store. Apple chose not to do that. No wonder. Because it's about Apple, not AT&T.
So why would Apple not allow the iPhone to be tethered? Why would Apple want to take that functionality away, when allowing it would help increase sales? Its a fact that in the U.S. it is AT&T that is not allowing tethering of the iPhone. Pulling the app worldwide might not be as nefarious as you claim on Apple's part.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2008, 05:44 PM
 
As I have said before, I believe Steve wants people to surf/email/whatever on their iPhones, not over their iPhones. Don't get me wrong, I would love tethering. But I believe it is Apple here who explicitly wants to prevent it.

And again, had only AT&T objected, Apple could have pulled the app from the US store and left it on other stores where tethering is no problem. Just as there are several apps tht are only available on certain stores. Instead they removed it everywhere. This is not just about AT&T.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2008, 01:54 AM
 
Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
And yet, the useful app for tethering was removed from the store. Way to go, Apple.
That's not the only application to disappear from the App store. BoxOffice was removed as well. Apple didn't bother giving the developer a reason as to why the application was removed. That's pretty lame.

BoxOffice pulled from App Store

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.
     
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2008, 09:35 AM
 
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2008, 12:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Yeah, that whole 0.1MB of space is really gonna drag the service down.
It's not about space on their server. It's about having to scroll through listings of useless apps while trying to find something of value in the App Store.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2008, 12:15 PM
 
Originally Posted by moep View Post
"iclick" lol. It is funny how everybody always ads an "i" to everything Apple.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2008, 01:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by eggman View Post
It's not about space on their server. It's about having to scroll through listings of useless apps while trying to find something of value in the App Store.
Apple isn't going to be the ones who make a judgment on what is useless and what is not. They won't be the ones judging quality. That is for the users to judge. They are making sure apps submitted don't have viruses, don't do damage to your iPhone/iPod, don't have porn, etc.

Imagine the outcry if Apple started to decide what is "good enough" to make it on their store. People would freak the hell out if there app didn't make it on because someone at Apple thinks its stupid.

I agree that this app is particularly lame, but I don't believe it should be left out if it doesn't break any of the rules assigned by Apple. Its basically an app to test the stupidity of people. And it looks like they found one stupid enough.

Its funny to me how people are quick to complain when Apple has "too much" control over their products. They brand Apple as arrogant for having a closed, controlled user experience. But then when they try to keep something as open as they can, people bitch about it.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2008, 02:00 PM
 
Well, it appears the app is gone (for now).
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2008, 04:24 PM
 
A few more to consider:
I'm middle class, $9.99, has a picture of a plasma tv
I'm poor, $0.99, includes photo of boiling ramen noodles
I'm broke, free, has a picture of the repo man
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2008, 09:16 PM
 
The title of this app should be "I am an idiot" instead of "I am rich".
     
Senior User
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2008, 12:48 AM
 
8 people to present day have bought this app
R.I.P Steve Jobs
     
Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MacNN database error. Please refresh your browser.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2008, 01:33 AM
 
$5,600 off the stupidity of others. I like that.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2008, 02:25 AM
 
That's great actually. Have they opened up developer status to everyone yet? I want to write useless applets too.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dayton, OH
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2008, 03:55 PM
 
I would agree that this is the best app ever! And about the review claiming to "accidentally" have bought the app, tough you moron. Why would Apple post a "fake" app on the App Store? They wouldn't for this very reason!
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2