Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone and iPod Touch, Revolutionary...yes. Useful... not.

iPhone and iPod Touch, Revolutionary...yes. Useful... not.
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2008, 09:32 AM

I owned 4 Macs, one G4 MDD, One iMac Core 2 Extreme, One Powerbook 12" and one Powerbook Titanium... I also owned two nanos, one iPod Touch and one shuffle...

I'm tired of my PB 12" because I only use it to work, and the only thing I do on it is text documens, and internet, thats it, data.... just that. When I bought the iPod Touch I thought that I will get all of those benefits I was getting with my PB 12" .... Ok... my final thought is that this iPhone and iPod touch are revolutionary but they're not useful for pros... one it's just a phone with games and the other one it's just a game console that plays music.

There is an App Store, but where are the apps that changes our world? I don't know why but I know that it can be better, I just see a bunch of junkware and games, why? I need something to rely on, some apps to work with, I bought a lot of apps including games by the way looking for that app that will change my way of work, get rid of my PB and just use my Touch for work, bought the Omni app and it let me hanging, I use Soho Notes so I get the idea that it will do somethig like that for me, it doesn't... and bought others that looks good but don't do nothing good for productivity... Whats going on? why developers doesn't want to change the world using the best tool in the world... now I use my PB and my iPod Touch... damn..
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Moderator Emeritus
Sep 11, 2008, 10:01 AM

Hi.

You can't use a bluetooth keyboard, and you haven't got a mouse. You've also got a screen size more limited in resolution than the original Macintosh.

Most developers like Omni and Soho are using the device to augment the computing experience.

Look at it like this - you have an internet enabled device that is location-aware and is always on, and always with you. How does the ability to enter notes that go back to your desktop while you're out and about help you?

How does the ability for notes entered on your desktop to prompt you when you're in a location that makes them relevant help you?

What kind of revolution are you looking for?

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2008, 11:49 AM

::: Preparing my flame thrower :::

Just kidding...

I agree that the apps in the App Store aren't all that great. I haven't been impressed. The apps designed by Apple and Google are the best, by far.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2008, 12:37 PM

Since this argument is based on personal need, so I'm not posting to contradict the way you work. But for the sake of the discussion, I disagree that the apps in the app store a all junk (lot's are, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water). The things that have positively augmented my workflow are:

Appigo's Todo. Sync's with Toodledo/RTM, which I use to manage my life. It's great because it allows me to sit at breakfast and rearrange how I want to manage my day. Sync is ultra-fast and reliable, and I can sync "at will" or automatically when I start the app.

Note2Self. I've always wanted a voicenote app that was easy and this is it: lift to your head, it vibrates, you say what you want, it saves it and auto-emails it to you. Efficient and handy.

DataCase. Don't need to carry a flash drive anymore (although it won't work for all docs).

Jaadu. Control my computer from my iphone. Mostly used to refresh my itunes library with my apple tv. Sounds trivial, but I use it a lot. Okay, I just realized this has nothing to do with work, so ignore this one. ;-)

None of these allow me to completely dump off my Macbook Air, but I'm glad that they do make my life a little easier, and I'm less "lost" without a computer.

I'm a manager, so I don't "need" the computer to work the same way you might...

Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2008, 01:44 PM

I find that, with my Touch, I don't need a laptop.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2008, 01:45 PM

Soho Notes ? Eew, I tried it and it immediately started screwing up the database.

I read comments online about their customer service, and decided to dump it ASAP.

I'm very happy with the combination Evernote and OmniFocus.

-t

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
I find that, with my Touch, I don't need a laptop.
Thats the feeling Im looking for. I just need my PB for web and database management. I'll loved to have something like a word processor and that's it! I've been using Soho notes for years but if omni group offer me something like it or better I will buy it. It's anoying having a laptop when you know you can do all of that on your iPod Touch.

E
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 03:54 PM

My beef is a lack of document editing apps - something that isn't proprietary/linked to a website.

Other than that, the iPhone allows me to be away from my desk.

As the platform matures, I expect to see more revolutionary apps along the lines of word processing, better camera features, more GPS functionality, better management of SMS (a continuous conversation for each contact is annoying). I'm pretty happy with the way things are moving, so I'm optimistic.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One View Post
Thats the feeling Im looking for. I just need my PB for web and database management. I'll loved to have something like a word processor and that's it! I've been using Soho notes for years but if omni group offer me something like it or better I will buy it. It's anoying having a laptop when you know you can do all of that on your iPod Touch.

E
I don't think you're looking for a Touch. I think you're looking for one of the micro laptops.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 05:36 PM

I agree with Don Pickett. iPhone/iPod touch is not for you. That's not a problem with the iPod touch, its just the way it is for you. For me, it replaces a laptop. Its damn near perfect. To each his own.

The App Store is still very young. I am very confident that we'll start to see some seriously amazing apps from large companies (not just Joe Schmoe in his basement) that really start to put the power of this device to work. I worked with a programmer to make a pretty simple app recently, and I can tell you its not as easy as it sounds. This is a brand new user interface that companies have to figure out the best way to use with their applications. Give them time. I think we're going to see some high level apps in the coming months.

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2008, 05:49 PM

I actually did replace my 12" iBook with a Touch,and in july got myself a iPhone 3G.
It does everything I need when I'm on the road,I can read the news,check my mail,make some quick notes,listen to my music in my car,and make phone calls,and all I have to carry is one small device!
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

Forum Links
Forum Rules