Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > freakin' lack of low battery warning...

freakin' lack of low battery warning...
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2009, 04:36 PM

No, really. Would it kill Apple to add some kind of audible warning my phone is going to die on me? I get that there's a 20% low battery warning. But if you're going to shut my phone off in the middle of a flipping conversation, I'd appreciate some kind of warning. Even my cheap free-after-rebate phone did that.

Is there a setting I've missed somewhere?

Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
No, really. Would it kill Apple to add some kind of audible warning my phone is going to die on me? I get that there's a 20% low battery warning. But if you're going to shut my phone off in the middle of a flipping conversation, I'd appreciate some kind of warning. Even my cheap free-after-rebate phone did that.

Is there a setting I've missed somewhere?
No missed setting.

Your iPhone warned you TWICE when you are getting low on battery - once at 20% and again at 10%. Don't blame Apple because you ignored the warnings, didn't charge your phone, and decided to make a call after it warned you (twice) that you were getting low on charge.

Perhaps you can ask Apple to add a third warning at 5%. Or maybe the iPhone should be made to not allow you to make a call when you are at 10% or less charge so your call won't get cut off because you didn't charge your phone.
2.3GHz i7 15" Retina Macbook Pro (Late 2013)

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2009, 10:47 PM

The thing is, a warning during a call is a lot more noticeable than a "20% low" warning you might have seen an hour ago.

Battery life significantly drops when you're actually using your phone to make/receive calls. I was on hold with my insurance company today when my phone completely died on me without warning - the last time I saw the low battery warning had been at 6:00 this morning, since that was the last time I had needed to look at my phone.

It wouldn't be that difficult to provide an auditory warning during calls that you're about to die. Hell of a lot more useful - and pertinent - than a "low battery" warning that you may have not even seen for the last hour. Visual warnings are nice. Auditory warnings are much more noticeable.

Or is it that iPhone is so perfect as-is that there is no justifiable reason to add such a feature?

Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2009, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
The thing is, a warning during a call is a lot more noticeable than a "20% low" warning you might have seen an hour ago.

Battery life significantly drops when you're actually using your phone to make/receive calls. I was on hold with my insurance company today when my phone completely died on me without warning - the last time I saw the low battery warning had been at 6:00 this morning, since that was the last time I had needed to look at my phone.

It wouldn't be that difficult to provide an auditory warning during calls that you're about to die. Hell of a lot more useful - and pertinent - than a "low battery" warning that you may have not even seen for the last hour. Visual warnings are nice. Auditory warnings are much more noticeable.

Or is it that iPhone is so perfect as-is that there is no justifiable reason to add such a feature?
I didn't say the iPhone was perfect but I fail to see the benefit of an audible low battery warning moments before the battery kicks it when you are presented with TWO warnings (that you have to actively close) that your battery is getting low and needs a charge.

Besides, what would you do if during a call you hear 3 beeps letting you know your phone was about to die? Quickly tell someone your phone is going to die and you will call them back? Calls get dropped all the time - no one will be surprised if they lose you and you have to call them back later.

You knew, through TWO visual warnings that you HAVE to acknowledge, that you were running low on battery. Whether it was 5 hours, 1 hour, or 10 minutes before you placed your call, you were still notified. TWICE. And those warnings are also audible so if you are on a call when the 10% kicks on, you will hear it.

Out of curiosity, at 6:00 am in the morning, was it the 10% or 20% warning? When you saw it at 6:00 am (whether 10 or 20%), why wouldn't you plug it in to charge it knowing that your battery was low? Regardless, if it was 20% at 6:00 am, you would have very likely had to acknowledge the 10% warning before or during your call later in the day.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2009, 11:35 PM

Forget it.

I like to have an audible warning in advance of my phone dying, so that in the middle of a call, I can be aware of the fact that it's going to drop if I don't find a charger for it.

It's not too much to ask. Phones with far fewer capabilities than the iPhone are able to provide both visual and audible cues that the battery is about to die. I simply wish the iPhone would do the same thing.

Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2009, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I didn't say the iPhone was perfect but I fail to see the benefit of an audible low battery warning moments before the battery kicks it when you are presented with TWO warnings (that you have to actively close) that your battery is getting low and needs a charge.
A warning that comes up to a day before the phone actually dies isn't the most useful thing to know you need to wrap up a conversation because the phone will die in 30 seconds.

Administrator
Aug 31, 2009, 08:59 AM

A more persistent warning, one that you see EVERY time you look at the phone, would be a very useful thing. A banner at the top of the screen when you're at 20%, and maybe even changing the screen's background color to red at 10% should be simple to do and would be very effective.

But the audible warning, like mduell says, is all about an active call that might be interrupted if the battery went dead. THAT is good. Having no other persistent and very noticeable warning, on the other hand, is problematic.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2009, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
A more persistent warning, one that you see EVERY time you look at the phone, would be a very useful thing. A banner at the top of the screen when you're at 20%, and maybe even changing the screen's background color to red at 10% should be simple to do and would be very effective.

But the audible warning, like mduell says, is all about an active call that might be interrupted if the battery went dead. THAT is good. Having no other persistent and very noticeable warning, on the other hand, is problematic.
I agree that a persistent warning at 10% battery life would be useful and I like your idea of changing the screen's background color to red at 10%. That way, whenever you unlock your phone you will know that you have a low battery, even if you acknowledged and closed the 10% warning message hours earlier.

However, I still fail to see the benefit of an audible warning right before your phone dies though. There's not much, if anything, you can do at that point. For example, if I'm on a call and get the audible warning, all I can do is quickly end the call. We may as well have an audible warning that our signal is about to be lost because I lose calls much more often because of that than the battery dying. In fact, I have NEVER had a call cut out because my battery died. Then again, when I get the 10% battery life left warning, I charge my phone, knowing that I don't have much useful battery left.

I guess it all depends on how you use your phone and how much attention you pay to low battery warnings.

Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2009, 12:00 PM

I don't think shifu's request of an AUDIBLE alert (together with the 20% / 10% warning) is unreasonable at all.

Even if you are not on a call, but the phone's in your pocket, wouldn't you want some audible alert that you're nearing a complete discharge ?

-t

Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I don't think shifu's request of an AUDIBLE alert (together with the 20% / 10% warning) is unreasonable at all.

Even if you are not on a call, but the phone's in your pocket, wouldn't you want some audible alert that you're nearing a complete discharge ?

-t
I didn't say it was unreasonable, I said I didn't see the point of it. If you are already inclined to ignore TWO previous warnings that you need to charge your phone because your battery is getting low, what benefit does an additional audible warning that you are now nearing complete discharge provide? THAT is my question.

I guess my lack of understanding the benefit of this audible warning stems from how I use and charge my iPhone. I have a charger at home and one at my desk in my office. I typically ignore the 20% warning but always plug it in when I get the 10% warning so an additional audible warning would not provide any benefit to me. I do understand that for others it may be useful, but I don't exactly see how.

Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2009, 02:51 PM

It's not that hard to imagine, is it?

Example: I take my phone at let's say 23% and start a long call. During that call to my surprise the phone will suddenly shut off. Reason: I was never alerted and the phone simply ran down the battery. The only alert that pops up is a visual alert. Fat chance seeing that while you're pressing the phone to your cheek.

A simple audio alert would solve that problem.

I don't see how this is asking for to much.

Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I didn't say it was unreasonable, I said I didn't see the point of it. If you are already inclined to ignore TWO previous warnings that you need to charge your phone because your battery is getting low, what benefit does an additional audible warning that you are now nearing complete discharge provide? THAT is my question.
Do you have your iPhone ALWAYS right in front of your eyes ?

You'd need the audible alert when your iPhone is out of sight.
* in your pocket
* on your ears
* tucked away in your briefcase

For me, the above happen quite often.

-t

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2009, 07:10 PM

I would think the visually impaired would appreciate an audible warning as well.

Seems like the benefits of an audible warning for low battery life outweigh the drawbacks.

I suggest those who would like to see this give Apple feedback about it.

So lets have it Apple!

-Q-
Aug 31, 2009, 07:26 PM

/signed.

I love the power of internet petitions!

Seriously, an audio warning before a dead battery, especially on a long call when I have the phone in my pocket and am using my headset would be most helpful.

Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2009, 02:04 PM

On behalf of those you who would like an audible low battery warning, I have left feedback with Apple.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2010, 09:43 AM

Just found ‘Accura v3.2’ the paid for $3 ver. (not the free ver.) says it has an audible waning for a low battery (as well as fully charged) you chose at what level, also repeat low Bat. waning option.

Only problem I can see is you will have to have the App running to warn you (ok if you have Backgrounder on a J/B phone) but then how much faster will this deplete your battery by having Accura running all the time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules