Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Changing sync to a different computer

Changing sync to a different computer
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2009, 10:21 AM

If this has been covered, please post the thread link... I couldn't find the info I need.

I need to change my iPhone sync from my home computer to my work computer. I have both machines authorized on my iTunes account, but my work machine doesn't have my purchased apps, and when I try to sync, it says it will wipe my phone's apps. I'm not seeing anyway to add my apps to my work computer.

I don't have any music on the phone, just apps. Anyone know the simplest way to do this?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Dec 30, 2009, 01:38 PM

You could either copy the apps to your work machine (found in Music->iTunes->Mobile Applications; all the .ipa files) or just set iTunes on your work machine to not sync apps to this iPhone. When you plug the phone in and select it from the list on the left in iTunes, there should be an Applications tab at the top of the window. Click that and then just unselect "Sync Applications". Then, iTunes won't touch the apps already on the phone when you sync.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2009, 11:51 AM

Steve, have you tried this? Copying the apps is not working for me, iTunes doesn't seem to find them although they are in the right directory "Mobile Applications".

My goal is to switch completely from one machine to the other so I can purchase apps and music from the work computer. I can't understand why I can't sync the apps from my iPhone to the new computer.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

Dec 31, 2009, 01:04 PM

What happens if you drag the .ipa files onto iTunes (dock icon, window, etc.) instead of just manually putting them in the Mobile Applications folder? As long as both computers are registered with the same iTunes account, apps should show up in the Applications section and sync correctly. If it doesn't work, you can always re-download any app you've purchased, but this will be a pain if you have a ton (like I do).

Steve
( Last edited by ibook_steve; Dec 31, 2009 at 01:15 PM. )
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2010, 10:00 PM

Thanks Steve, that worked! (dragged onto the iTunes in the dock)

Forum Links
Forum Rules