Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > using iphone only with wi-fi, no att contract

using iphone only with wi-fi, no att contract
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2010, 04:33 AM

I understand an ipod is wonderful, though no camera and video and speaker, boo iphone. is there a way to buy an unlocked 3gen 16g iphone and use it with connecting with wi-fi only no att contract. so tired of contracts. i know there are postings years ago, but any updates. thanks so much for your time.

ok if not turn my ipod into a phone using skype? not as important.

Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2010, 05:27 AM

Not in the US. All iPhones sold here are AT&T locked.

-t

Mar 29, 2010, 02:07 PM

You do know that iPod touch does have a speaker, right?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2010, 07:46 AM

Assuming you use the iPhone with AT&T, you might be able to get a month-by-month contract, but AT&T will want to sell you a data plan unless you tell them you have a "non-smart phone" and then switch the SIMM after you leave the store.

I used my first iPhone 1G/2G with T-Mobile for 18 months this way (jailbroken and unlocked, of course). Not having data everywhere sucked, but it worked like an iPod touch with phone capabilities when I was near wireless I could access.

I think the 3G can be unlocked, but the 3GS is still not quite there (although the latest is that someone has figured out how to unlock the 3GS AND the upcoming iPad).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2010, 01:16 PM

Search eBay or Craig's List for a used 3G iPhone. It should work fine using only Wi-Fi. I recently switched from AT&T to Verizon (got a Blackberry Storm) and my 3G iPhone, although with "No Service" still connects to my Wi-Fi and I can use all apps.
27" 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac
15" Mid-2012 2.2 GHz i7 Macbook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules