Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone HD ?

iPhone HD ? (Page 7)
Thread Tools
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 30, 2010, 07:14 AM
 
white=iBook, MacBook
black=PowerBook, top end MacBook
aluminum=PowerBook, MacBook (mistake), MacBook Pro.

Black and aluminum both meant "expensive".

You're both right.
     
Eug
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Caught in a web of deceit.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 30, 2010, 07:23 AM
 
I was just saying the real "expensive" pro machines were aluminum when the black MacBook came out. The black MacBook just came across to me as "amusing ripoff", because you could get the white with the same specs for significantly less money. I didn't complain though, because I thought the white looked nicer... and still do.

However, if those colours are correct, I'm leaning toward baby blue or red. Red would actually match my MacBook Pro case and my carry-on suitcase. 3-item business trip match.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 30, 2010, 08:03 AM
 
The blackbook had a larger HD as well, but it was effectively $150 for a nicer colour (YMMV) and a much nicer *feel*.

It wasn't so much the colour for me as the fact that I just dislike the touch of the white plastic.

Three-and-a-half years down the line, I still haven't regretted going for the black - ever.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 30, 2010, 10:04 AM
 
Originally Posted by carman View Post
I think that is the most important thing....a good battery.
Yep. The one thing I've noticed when using other people's iPhones, they're frequently at the empty end of the battery.
     
Eug
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Caught in a web of deceit.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 30, 2010, 10:40 AM
 
Which reminds me... My battery isn't lasting as long as it used to, and sometimes it can get annoying now. How strict are they with the battery repair service? Do they replace just the battery, or the whole phone? Cuz my case has some cracks too.

I'm thinking though I may just tough it out for another half year, to get the iPhone 3G HD as the replacement.

BTW, rumours are ramping up about that 960x640 rez. It's nice the phone will likely be able to play HD videos, but do you really benefit that much to have the screen that dense? That would be well over 300 ppi. That said, it would be an exact quadrupling of the original 480x320 resolution, which would mean it would keep text and other stuff designed for 480x320 crisp. So, it does make sense from the legacy app point of view, but it is probably overkill for video on a screen that small.

The initial rumours of 960x480 don't make as much sense. That would be 2X the vertical rez and 1.5X the horizontal rez, and some legacy apps could look blurry.
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Zealand
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 30, 2010, 04:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Yep. The one thing I've noticed when using other people's iPhones, they're frequently at the empty end of the battery.
Curious - does anybody know if the batteries in any of the iPhones thus far have used similar technology to what was introduced with the Unibody MBP batteries? Or are they far more generic Li-On batteries?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black
     
ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 1, 2010, 03:03 PM
 
More leakage. Now videos of the aluminium chassis without any front back or internals. This one has the screw holes either side of the dock port, and the seams. Now that the chassis is bare can anyone tell what the seams are for?

The iPhone 4's outer case makes it on camera... in Portugal -- Engadget
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your Anus
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Jun 4, 2010, 01:20 PM
 
Every single iPhone GPS app iseems to be getting price slashes right now. Makes me wonder if they all know something we don't...

...like Apple is adding turn-by-turn as a built in feature???

Pretty please?

(I'm super close to buying the Navigon central region for $15, but I know there is a small chance we're getting free turn-by-turn in a week...)

My sig is 1 pixel too big.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 4, 2010, 04:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Which reminds me... My battery isn't lasting as long as it used to, and sometimes it can get annoying now. How strict are they with the battery repair service? Do they replace just the battery, or the whole phone? Cuz my case has some cracks too.

I'm thinking though I may just tough it out for another half year, to get the iPhone 3G HD as the replacement.

BTW, rumours are ramping up about that 960x640 rez. It's nice the phone will likely be able to play HD videos, but do you really benefit that much to have the screen that dense? That would be well over 300 ppi. That said, it would be an exact quadrupling of the original 480x320 resolution, which would mean it would keep text and other stuff designed for 480x320 crisp. So, it does make sense from the legacy app point of view, but it is probably overkill for video on a screen that small.

The initial rumours of 960x480 don't make as much sense. That would be 2X the vertical rez and 1.5X the horizontal rez, and some legacy apps could look blurry.
Well, with a screen with that high of a DPI, they can easily move to a physically larger (4" or larger) screen with the next revision without sacrificing image quality. I'd love to see a 4" screen on the iPhone.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 4, 2010, 05:05 PM
 
Wouldn't changing the physical size of the screen wreak havoc on the apps built for the current screen size, forcing developers to redo their apps for the new screen size? And anyone making an app will have to do it for 2 screens (3 if they do an iPad version). That's one of the drawbacks of the Android market.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Durham, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 4, 2010, 05:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Wouldn't changing the physical size of the screen wreak havoc on the apps built for the current screen size, forcing developers to redo their apps for the new screen size? And anyone making an app will have to do it for 2 screens (3 if they do an iPad version). That's one of the drawbacks of the Android market.
I doubt it would make much difference, assuming the rumored resolution changes (that is, multiplying by the same integer amount in both directions). Pixel-doubling would be taken care of by the OS, and I’d bet a tiny fraction of apps really depend on particular onscreen elements being a precise distance apart. I mean, maybe there are a few ruler apps out there, but what other ones would be affected? In general overall, a 14% increase in relative distances probably means any UI element would be a bigger target. Maybe one-handed use would be a little harder for small-handed people. But in general, little to no extra work for most devs.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 4, 2010, 05:50 PM
 
Right, but those apps with nice graphics and custom UI's would be compelled to redo their graphics for the new size and resolution. I suppose that would happen even without the physical increase in size, if they're bumping the ppi up. Its a tough call, and I'm sure people will bitch either way. (me included)
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 4, 2010, 07:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Every single iPhone GPS app iseems to be getting price slashes right now. Makes me wonder if they all know something we don't...

...like Apple is adding turn-by-turn as a built in feature???
Apple bought up a map company last year.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 5, 2010, 01:53 AM
 
Well, I would imagine with Android getting free turn-by-turn, it would be the logical assumption.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 6, 2010, 01:14 PM
 
The iPad has black buttons but the iPhone prototype has silver, I think the production iPhone will have black as well.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 6, 2010, 01:57 PM
 
doubtful
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 6, 2010, 03:04 PM
 
^ Agreed. Apple doesn't always make their products matchy-matchy.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Durham, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 6, 2010, 04:33 PM
 
Case in point: all of their cables and headphones are still white.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 6, 2010, 06:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Case in point: all of their cables and headphones are still white.
That's for branding. Shipping iPods/iPhones with white headphones is the same as Tomny Hilfiger putting their logo on their jackets.
     
Eug
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Caught in a web of deceit.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 6, 2010, 11:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Well, with a screen with that high of a DPI, they can easily move to a physically larger (4" or larger) screen with the next revision without sacrificing image quality. I'd love to see a 4" screen on the iPhone.
Would it fit in the same phone width? A 4" screen with the same screen ratio would be roughly ¼" wider. (Rough estimate, as I haven't done the actual calculations.)

I suppose if they got rid of any side bezel they could almost make it fit, and they could definitely make it fit if they made the phone a couple mm wider.

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Right, but those apps with nice graphics and custom UI's would be compelled to redo their graphics for the new size and resolution. I suppose that would happen even without the physical increase in size, if they're bumping the ppi up. Its a tough call, and I'm sure people will bitch either way. (me included)
No. The rumoured resolution (which seems high), is exactly 2x2 times the original resolution. That would mean an old app would work perfectly (unless it's a ruler app or something). The iPhone would simply default to automatically quadrupling the resolution for any older app that doesn't have the appropriate flags/programming for the higher resolution, for pixel-perfect matching.

BTW, the ruler apps I've tried are off anyway. Can't these application programmers figure out something as simple as pixel density?!?
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2010, 12:00 AM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
That's for branding. Shipping iPods/iPhones with white headphones is the same as Tomny Hilfiger putting their logo on their jackets.
Maybe the headphones, but the black macbook always looked silly to me with a white power adapter.

As for the iPhone HD, I plan on upgrading to whatever is released because my current original iphone is now almost 3 years old and the data speeds just aren't fast enough. I'm not happy about the new data plans though. I have been very happy paying $20/month for unlimited data and 200 text messages and will now have to pay more than double that to get less service. I would pay the unsubsidized price of the new phone to be grandfathered in on that plan!
ATT iPhone 4; 13" MBP; MDD G4.
http://twitter.com/SSharon27
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Beaumont Texas
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2010, 01:20 AM
 
I thought I read somewhere that you can keep your current plan even if you upgrade to the new iPhone.
(Can't remember where, so I don't have a link)
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2010, 02:00 AM
 
I'm not sure powerbook users ever had a matching cord, maybe the tibook but I'm not sure about that. I suspected that a big reason for the change to a more square shape with silver sides/back was to match the iPad.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2010, 05:09 AM
 
Originally Posted by macaddict0001 View Post
I'm not sure powerbook users ever had a matching cord, maybe the tibook but I'm not sure about that. I suspected that a big reason for the change to a more square shape with silver sides/back was to match the iPad.
PowerBook power supplies were dark gray as long as the 'books were.

When the G3s came out, the Books went black, and the power supplies were those silver "UFO" style ones where the cable would break at the point where it was attached to the UFO.

IIRC, those lasted until the Alu PowerBooks in 2003, which got the white supplies.

I think every single black wallwart and line lump I own (and I have dozens) looks like complete shit.

The white power supplies Apple makes are downright attractive by comparison.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2010, 08:28 AM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
The white power supplies Apple makes are downright attractive by comparison.
Correct.

I mean, just look at the outlets. What color do they have ? Black or white ?

White wallwarts are by far less obtrusive.
I don't understand why nobody else has started making them in white.

-t
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2010, 08:29 AM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
When the G3s came out, the Books went black, and the power supplies were those silver "UFO" style ones where the cable would break at the point where it was attached to the UFO.

IIRC, those lasted until the Alu PowerBooks in 2003, which got the white supplies.

I think every single black wallwart and line lump I own (and I have dozens) looks like complete shit.

The white power supplies Apple makes are downright attractive by comparison.
Yep, Apple's power adapters do look great compared to everyone elses. It's unfortunate, though, that Apple can't seem to produce a power adapter that isn't prone to becoming a fire hazard. Attractive seems to have a cost.

I've had 3 Apple laptops and 4 Apple power adapters that needed replacing because they became fire hazards.
- Original PowerBook Duo adapter: recalled. replaced with UFO adapter
- UFO Adapter: Broke at the point of connection to the adapter.
- iBook adapter: frayed at the point of connection to the laptop. replaced with an ugly, cheaper and less likely to fray, Macally adapter.
- MacBook adapter: frayed at the point of connection to the laptop. replaced by Apple.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2010, 10:42 AM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
- MacBook adapter: frayed at the point of connection to the laptop. replaced by Apple.
Recently redesigned to avoid this issue.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Oakland, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2010, 11:45 AM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Yep, Apple's power adapters do look great compared to everyone elses. It's unfortunate, though, that Apple can't seem to produce a power adapter that isn't prone to becoming a fire hazard. Attractive seems to have a cost.

I've had 3 Apple laptops and 4 Apple power adapters that needed replacing because they became fire hazards.
- Original PowerBook Duo adapter: recalled. replaced with UFO adapter
- UFO Adapter: Broke at the point of connection to the adapter.
- iBook adapter: frayed at the point of connection to the laptop. replaced with an ugly, cheaper and less likely to fray, Macally adapter.
- MacBook adapter: frayed at the point of connection to the laptop. replaced by Apple.
Same here. I've had the same experience and one catch fire (Last one I had 2 years ago). Took it in and they had the nerve to try to blame it on me bending the wire. After I gave him a crazy look and was about to go over the counter to break his neck, they ordered me another even though they had a ton in stock. 3 weeks later I had another power supply, AFTER... I had to buy one due to not being able to charge the damn thing for that long.

I've had 2 UFO supplies with my old G3 and G4 Titanium, and now on the 2nd of these white ones.
     
Eug
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Caught in a web of deceit.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2010, 11:50 AM
 
My G4 Titanium had a white power adapter. I was very happy to have that, because the UFO adapter in the initial G4 TiBooks was ginormous. What the hell was Ives thinking?

But yeah, my white adapter frayed.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2010, 12:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
No. The rumoured resolution (which seems high), is exactly 2x2 times the original resolution. That would mean an old app would work perfectly (unless it's a ruler app or something). The iPhone would simply default to automatically quadrupling the resolution for any older app that doesn't have the appropriate flags/programming for the higher resolution, for pixel-perfect matching.

BTW, the ruler apps I've tried are off anyway. Can't these application programmers figure out something as simple as pixel density?!?
Right, that would work for apps that don't have custom made graphics, but only text and buttons and such. But any app (games in particular) that has built all of its graphics for the current screen size and resolution would be effected. Same thing that happens when you "pixel double" some iPhone apps on an iPad, but not as harsh.

Sure all the apps would work fine, just like all apps work fine on an iPad, but they would look like ass.
     
Eug
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Caught in a web of deceit.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2010, 12:10 PM
 
I don't understand why you would say that.... IF... the OS could automatically scale up via pixel doubling.

Remember, we're NOT talking about an iPad. We are talking about a 4" iPhone. It would have 3-4X the pixel density. In other words, 4 pixels from a new aluminum iPhone wouldn't be much bigger than 1 pixel from the original iPhone.

I'm not counting on this 2x2 increase in resolution, and in fact would have expected the screen to stay the same, but I'm thinking if they did release something like this, it wouldn't have to seriously negatively affect existing apps.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: detroit,mi,usa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2010, 12:43 PM
 
Did you guys see where Gizmodo is asking people to blog the keynote for them? hahaha

for some reason, apple wouldn't respond to their request to be let in. Strange.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2010, 04:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I don't understand why you would say that.... IF... the OS could automatically scale up via pixel doubling.

Remember, we're NOT talking about an iPad. We are talking about a 4" iPhone. It would have 3-4X the pixel density. In other words, 4 pixels from a new aluminum iPhone wouldn't be much bigger than 1 pixel from the original iPhone.

I'm not counting on this 2x2 increase in resolution, and in fact would have expected the screen to stay the same, but I'm thinking if they did release something like this, it wouldn't have to seriously negatively affect existing apps.
Yeah, I'm probably thinking about this the wrong way. Although Steve did say that if you want your current apps to look great on the new screen, you need to update your graphics... That's what I was talking about.. but I want to see what they look like (mine specifically, which is almost all custom graphics).
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: BFE
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2010, 06:03 PM
 
At least it wasn't called the iPhone Extreme! (iPhone 4 is good).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2010, 06:33 PM
 
Applications on the new iPhone will look the same as they do now. New/updated stuff will just look crisper.
     
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2010, 09:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Applications on the new iPhone will look the same as they do now. New/updated stuff will just look crisper.
from the Stevenote
Originally Posted by Steve
10:46AM "It makes it so your apps run automatically on this, but it renders your text and controls in the higher resolution. Your apps look even better, but if you do a little bit of work, then they will look stunning.
Apps' text and controls benefit automagically.
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2014 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2