Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > how do I transfer a large file to somebody else's iOS device?

how do I transfer a large file to somebody else's iOS device?
Thread Tools
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Raleigh, NC, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2012, 01:38 PM
 
I have a movie I made myself on my Mac. I can share it to my iPhone.
My question is, how do I put a movie from my iPhone, or from my Mac, onto somebody else's iPhone?

The situation is, I made a great little movie. My daughter comes over to visit (I'm old) and I wanted to give it to her to put it on her iPhone. The movie is half a gigabyte long. Messages can't do it. email can't do it. I can't sync her iPhone to my Mac without blowing away other things she has on the iPhone. The only way I can figure to do it is upload it to youtube or gallery.mac.com and that seems really tedious. I can put it on a USB key and have her bring it home to her Mac and then put it on her iPhone from there. Also tedious.

Same problem at work. I have a document or files I want to put onto my iPhone to read later. How do I get it to the iPhone? If it is small enough I can save it through email. Really tedious. Isn't there a non-internet way to handle that? Even iTunes on my MSWindows machine at work would be better than using email. Can I have multiple iTunes instances talk to the same iOS device without trashing the data on the iOS device each time I go back and forth?

My son has a program for his iPad which lets me copy stuff off my HD in iTunes and then see them later on the iPhone. I think it's called iFlashDrive or something like that. He still has to put it on HIS computer in order to copy it to HIS iPad.

Any ideas would be great.
Tadd
     
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2012, 01:52 PM
 
For the documents, you can sign up for Dropbox, and install the dropbox app on the iphone, it will sync between devices and you can also share items with other people. You can try putting the movie there too.

You could also try the largeformat email sites like yousendit.com.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2012, 02:15 PM
 
Andi's got it with Dropbox. It's awesome. You should have it anyway.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Automatic
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2012, 02:50 PM
 
If you are going to use Dropbox, make sure you upload the file via the desktop application, these have no size limit. On the other hand, files uploaded through the Dropbox website have a 300 MB size limit.

iFlashDrive seems to be a hardware/software combo, looks nice, it is expensive, though.

You might try USB Disk.
     
tadd  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Raleigh, NC, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2012, 03:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
For the documents, you can sign up for Dropbox, and install the dropbox app on the iphone, it will sync between devices and you can also share items with other people. You can try putting the movie there too.

You could also try the largeformat email sites like yousendit.com.
I'd rather not have to put files over the internet just to put them on another device which is 6" away.

Question about yousendit, if I used yousendit, could somebody with just an icloud account receive a 500MB file?

DropBox sound interesting for one application but what I really want is to be able move data 6" between a computer or iOS device and another unrelated iOS device. Considering the transfer rate between my Mac and my iPhone, doing stuff via internet is really slow.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2012, 03:51 PM
 
There's Air Sharing and a number of similar tools, which turn the iPhone into a local server that you can access via wi-fi and upload files into.

They're viewable within the app, and can be pulled off the phone on the "main" computer through iTunes, or via wi-fi access to the app within any network, just the way it worked when you uploaded to the phone.
     
tadd  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Raleigh, NC, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2012, 03:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Andi's got it with Dropbox. It's awesome. You should have it anyway.
Thanks for being on-top of this forum. I appreciate the fast turn-around. I didn't think of using DropBox to store a file on the iPhone. Does it really sync over to the iPhone automagically? Or only when the file is accessed?

I do have Dropbox, but my daughter doesn't and I was kind of hoping that I was missing something dumb which would just have let me plug her iPhone into my Mac and move the file. Question about DropBox... Will it notice that both clients can talk to each-other? or will it sync to the cloud? I think it syncs to the cloud. Putting a 500MB movie on the cloud and waiting for it to go across the internet twice via my cable modem or 3G is silly anyway when we're in the same room with WiFi and Bluetooth and USB2. If there isn't a better way, Apple should be thinking of making one. Moving 500MB could take all dinner and the time to watch Simpsons afterwards, oh but Simpsons wouldn't work because my streaming bandwidth would be trashed by my DropBox transfer. (I'm trying to be ironic, not nasty)
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2012, 04:14 PM
 
Nope.

Dropbox works exactly the way you imagine it will...and files aren't actually downloaded onto the iPhone until you tap them.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2012, 04:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Dropbox works exactly the way you imagine it will...and files aren't actually downloaded onto the iPhone until you tap them.
Also worth pointing out: you can make any file on Dropbox permanently available (even when you're offline) by marking it as a favorite (star button).

-t
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Tampa, Florida
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 23, 2012, 11:54 PM
 
No internet: iFile puts all your iPhone folders on the LAN with its embedded HTTP server. You just visit the iPhone's IPv4 LAN address with your other iPhone, navigate until you find the file, and download with an app that can store it (that's the part I can't help you with).
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Automatic
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 24, 2012, 04:00 AM
 
A pity the iPhone Dropbox client does not use LAN sync.
     
tadd  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Raleigh, NC, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 2, 2012, 04:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
There's Air Sharing and a number of similar tools, which turn the iPhone into a local server that you can access via wi-fi and upload files into.

They're viewable within the app, and can be pulled off the phone on the "main" computer through iTunes, or via wi-fi access to the app within any network, just the way it worked when you uploaded to the phone.
I had no idea such things existed. I found Phone Drive which sound like what you are talking about. I just have to figure out my phone's IP address and then access it using a web browser on the LAN. That brings up a menu which allows drag & drop of files over the network. It's WiFi slow but it's a ton faster than doing it via Internet and handles gigabit long files. Only thing with Phone Drive is that it totally fails in the WiFi upload process if the Phone Drive application is quit.

Other good news is that Phone Drive does let me store/get files on it from somebody else's iTunes over USB.

Thanks for the help.
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Palo Alto, CA USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 4, 2012, 12:27 AM
 
Originally Posted by tadd View Post
I have a movie I made myself on my Mac. I can share it to my iPhone.
My question is, how do I put a movie from my iPhone, or from my Mac, onto somebody else's iPhone?

The situation is, I made a great little movie. My daughter comes over to visit (I'm old) and I wanted to give it to her to put it on her iPhone. The movie is half a gigabyte long. Messages can't do it. email can't do it. I can't sync her iPhone to my Mac without blowing away other things she has on the iPhone. The only way I can figure to do it is upload it to youtube or gallery.mac.com and that seems really tedious. I can put it on a USB key and have her bring it home to her Mac and then put it on her iPhone from there. Also tedious.

Same problem at work. I have a document or files I want to put onto my iPhone to read later. How do I get it to the iPhone? If it is small enough I can save it through email. Really tedious. Isn't there a non-internet way to handle that? Even iTunes on my MSWindows machine at work would be better than using email. Can I have multiple iTunes instances talk to the same iOS device without trashing the data on the iOS device each time I go back and forth?

My son has a program for his iPad which lets me copy stuff off my HD in iTunes and then see them later on the iPhone. I think it's called iFlashDrive or something like that. He still has to put it on HIS computer in order to copy it to HIS iPad.

Any ideas would be great.
Tadd
I don't see why using a flash drive is tedious. Give her a cheap 1GB flash drive, she will take it homeplug her phone into her computer, plug the usb drive in, and just drag the movie from the USB drive to the iPhone in iTunes.

The lack of ability for you to put any files you want on HER iPhone at your home is a two edge sword. It's also cumbersome for someone else to put something on her iPhone too unless they know alot of tricks.
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 12, 2012, 09:10 AM
 
I am not familiar with some software or expensive apps intended for storing and sending large files. The ones I use are the old school Dropbox and the use of my 8GB flash drive. Ever since I have never had any problems in saving or transferring files.
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2