Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Target disc mode for the iPad. How?

Target disc mode for the iPad. How?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2013, 04:54 PM

I want to back up my iPad by cloning the disc image like I do with Carbon Copy Cloner for the Mac. How do you bring up the iPad in target disc mode (or whatever term is used for it if different)?

Apparently most Apple forum 'power users' don't even know there's a hard drive in their computer (emphasis on 'users' I guess) so it's just not possible to even get this question across on that forum. Frustrating...

Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2013, 05:47 PM

You don't, without jailbreaking it.

serr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2013, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You don't, without jailbreaking it.
Go on...
I don't care the method or terminology used.

P
Feb 4, 2013, 04:45 AM

Can I ask why you'd want to do that? It seems like the hard way to do things.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2013, 08:49 AM

Doesn't iTunes back your iPad stuff up when it syncs?
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Doesn't iTunes back your iPad stuff up when it syncs?
Theoretically. Every time I've tried to sync my PDFs and books they get sent hither and yon. Along with all their custom titles, etc. It's like Lucy with the football for me.
He can be fixed -- you can't.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2013, 11:43 AM

iOS stores files differently than a regular computer. When you copy files to your iPad via iTunes, they can generally only be accessed through apps that know they're there (and iTunes).

If you jailbreak your iPad, you can install a third party file browser like iFile that will let you see the full file system of the device. Even then, you won't be able to plug your iPad into a computer and just have it show up as an external hard drive (I think - it's been awhile since I jailbroke any iOS devices).

If you want to just be able to back up everything en masse, get an Android tablet. That kind of functionality just doesn't exist in iOS.

What kind of content are you trying to back up?

Forum Links
Forum Rules