Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The AT&T Sucks Game

The AT&T Sucks Game
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2013, 03:13 PM

I've set the bar high (low). You need to get slower downloads with three bars on LTE, or the same speed with 4 or more bars.

Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2013, 05:24 PM

I thought bars were signal strength, not channel congestion.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2013, 05:38 PM

Well, yeah, but a weak signal can slow down your speeds significantly. At least in my understanding.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2013, 05:48 PM

I've never gotten this slow on LTE with 5 bars. I've gotten slow, mind you, but not this slow.

This wasn't downtown or anything, either. I was in a hot dog shack.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2013, 05:51 PM

Also, do other providers have backhaul which sends you halfway across the ****ing galaxy? I'm in Chicago. There are Speedtest nodes in Chicago. WTF is my phone in Missouri?

Mar 2, 2013, 09:54 PM

I switched from att when the iPhone 5 was available. For about 18 months prior, att had been doing exactly what you got in that speediest -- decent bars, no speed, and in many cases no data at all. And I traveled to different parts of the country and it was lousy everywhere. I don't miss them one bit and have been pleased with Verizon, especially the LTE.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2013, 10:36 PM

I average about 5 or 6 on LTE, but there's a high standard deviation.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2013, 04:02 AM

Silly me thought it couldn't get any worse.

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Well, yeah, but a weak signal can slow down your speeds significantly. At least in my understanding.
Low signal strength on a cell phone signal is kind of like you talking...you can talk much faster and be understood talking in a quiet room than talking in a subway, for example.

Ye Olde Days, with dial-up modems, you could test line quality with some "AT commands" and watch the modem retrain to go to a lower or high speed to make the most reliable connection with the given line quality.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2013, 10:54 PM

AT&T just rolled out LTE in my neighborhood. Here are the speeds I'm averaging at my house. As you can see it blows away my WiFi. (Internet provider is AT&T U-Verse.)

( Last edited by Stogieman; Mar 29, 2013 at 11:18 PM. )

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.

Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2013, 12:08 PM

Some of the times when I seem to have issues with AT&T, it's actually my iPhone acting up.

A restart often fixes those issues, or resetting the network settings.

-t

Banned
Mar 30, 2013, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
AT&T just rolled out LTE in my neighborhood. Here are the speeds I'm averaging at my house. As you can see it blows away my WiFi. (Internet provider is AT&T U-Verse.)

About the speeds I'm getting.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2013, 01:54 AM

I got 18 down once.

Administrator
Apr 5, 2013, 08:49 AM

I get a 5.15 Mbps download and a 0.60 Mbps upload with a 139 ms ping using my home WiFi (AT&T DSL with "up to 6 Mbps download package). On 4G with 3 bars, I get 1.66 down, 0.26 up, and 108ms ping. This is with a 4S on 4G only, not LTE. It kicks butt over the 3G I got used to with my previous iPhone 4.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2013, 01:11 PM

I honestly can't tell the difference once you get over 5, and LTE gets that more often than "4G" did.

OTOH, I can also get those blazing 0.0 times too.

Games Meister
Apr 5, 2013, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post

Your landline ping is delicious. LTE is not.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2013, 01:43 PM

Delicious, delicious ping...

Games Meister
Apr 5, 2013, 01:45 PM

I should not, I'm more impressed with ping rated from 100+ miles away.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2013, 01:47 PM

Huh?

Games Meister
Apr 5, 2013, 01:49 PM

I can't tell the distance of the test server in the new speedtest app, but ping to the closest server isn't that impressive (to me) as ping over distance is.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2013, 01:51 PM

Ahh... Gotcha.

How do you know Stogieman's ping is from far away?

Games Meister
Apr 5, 2013, 01:52 PM

Hilariously, my ping to Boston is far better than to anywhere in PA. I chalk that up to the rurality. Exposing my likely technical ignorance, I imagine my connection has to be routed through more nodes.

Administrator
Apr 5, 2013, 11:49 PM

Ping should be the time to get to the server your test is running through. That could indeed mean more routing steps, or that the routers your link is going through are very busy. Or both.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2013, 01:41 PM

AUGGGGHHHH!

I can't walk downtown without my phone getting hijacked by every ****ing AT&T Starbucks wifi hotspot.

Administrator
Apr 24, 2013, 07:12 AM

I got tired of the popups for joining every network my phone noticed, so I turned off the "ask to join" option. But...I have a local Barnes & Noble with a Starbucks attached, both with their own, separate, AT&T WiFi... At some specific point in the book store, between their physical antenna setup and the Starbucks' setup, my phone can't figure out which one to connect to, but it keeps trying... And I can't check my mail there without turning off my phone's WiFi.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2013, 09:29 AM

I wouldn't mind if it was more graceful, but what happens is a page is halfway loaded, my phone picks up the edge of the Starbucks hotspot, and either the page stalls, or it's wiped out and replaced with a friggin login page.

Once I've walked out of hotspot range, half the time I have to kick the thing for it to realize it's not on wifi anymore.

Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2013, 11:05 AM

The signal strength is for the voice system. The tower you're talking to may be completely incapable of data traffic. The tower probably isn't LTE do the phone is downgrading to GSM or something and there's no compatible downgrade for the tower and you phone for the data connection. The tower may be 5 generations old.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2013, 02:50 PM

In my examples, it says LTE.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2013, 12:19 PM

ZOMG, how do you manage with such high speed? Are you thinking about changing your carrier?

Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2013, 12:40 PM

Yeah but that value comes from the tower not the phone. It doesn't have to match the protocol that's actually being used.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by CentralParkMac View Post
ZOMG, how do you manage with such high speed? Are you thinking about changing your carrier?
What's getting me is being a creeper on subway.

I totally creep on people's iPhones, and I notice the ones which say Verizon have a signal.

Administrator
Apr 28, 2013, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
The signal strength is for the voice system. The tower you're talking to may be completely incapable of data traffic. The tower probably isn't LTE do the phone is downgrading to GSM or something and there's no compatible downgrade for the tower and you phone for the data connection. The tower may be 5 generations old.
Shouldn't the phone indicate downgrading? Mine displays 3D, and (not often, not in town) even E, depending on what data coverage I actually have.

P
Apr 30, 2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Shouldn't the phone indicate downgrading? Mine displays 3D, and (not often, not in town) even E, depending on what data coverage I actually have.
That's right, it shows like that. If the tower truly doesn't have data at all (ie, it is base GSM, "2G" if you will), I don't think there is a symbol at all, although I've never seen that. If it's GPRS ("2.5G"), there is a ring (that is not quite an O, more like the ring for degrees) and above that is E for EDGE, 3G and 4G. I don't think there's a symbol for HSPA, although that could fairly be designated as "3.5G" for those still in to the G markers.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2013, 10:30 AM

Also there a difference between raw signal strength and signal quality. You could try locating the tower and finding a spot were you have an almost perfect view of it. Or as people have pointed out before it could be congestion. You may have 5Mbit to the tower but the tower may only have 1Mbit to the internet. Divide that my everyone in a 2 block area.

Forum Links
Forum Rules