Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > can't connect bluetooth devices to ipad mini after iOS 6.1.3 update

can't connect bluetooth devices to ipad mini after iOS 6.1.3 update
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2013, 05:55 PM

Hi All,

I can't connect bluetooth devices to my ipad mini, pretty sure the issue started after I updated to iOS 6.1.3.

The ipad can see bluetooth devices (tried with two keyboards and some headphones), but connection attempts fail with "Pairing Unsuccessful. Make sure 'keyboard/headphones' is turned on, in range, and is ready to pair" (I know that the devices work with other bluetooth connections on my iphone and desktop).

Before this problem started, I used to successfully use all three bluetooth devices with this ipad. I've had a good google around, nothing I've read so far seems to help (I did find one many multi-step process that fixed some other issue people were having after 6.1.3, but it wasn't specific to my problem and seemed to risk data loss).

Any suggestions as to how to solve this problem? I got the ipad and bluetooth keyboard to (mostly) replace my laptop, and I'd really like to get things working again!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers!

Chas

May 22, 2013, 07:37 PM

Any chance these devices require you to reset them or remove a previous pairing? Have you removed previous pairings on the iPad?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2013, 11:05 AM

Sorry to take so long to reply.

Sadly, I did check to see if any devices were already registered on the ipad, to specifically remove them and re-pair. I was unable to remove them (they just read: "not connected" but there was no arrow leading to "forget this device", as there should be).

So, I decided to take drastic action: wipe and restore from backup. It was then that I discovered that the backup process has been failing for three weeks. I sync to my desktop machine, automatically over wifi, usually overnight, and thus I didn't see the failure message. Jeez, this really is pissing me off to no end. I might have to wipe my machine and reinstall everything from scratch, what a pain! (I can't determine if the last backup is corrupt or not, without restoring to it).

Arrgh!

Chas

May 28, 2013, 01:47 PM

That's weird. What happens if you simply turn Bluetooth off and then back on?

Hopefully you don't have to wipe everything and start from scratch.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2013, 07:24 AM

A good tip, turning bluetooth on and off was one of the first things I tried.

I think a restore, and perhaps starting from scratch, might be necessary (sigh). I've got a number of apps that crash on opening now, bluetooth is out, and wifi is starting to act weird.

I've been faffing around with Macs since '86, and accept the consequences of tweaking, but I've done nothing to this iPad, no jailbreak, minimal app installs, and OS updates when the early adopters had successfully done so. It's a super-drag that it's going squirrely on me!

Thanks again for the help,

Chas

Administrator
Jun 2, 2013, 09:32 AM

It sounds like the whole device is borked or going that way, so you may want to just cut to the chase and do a factory restore... Hopefully you'll be able to backup before that-I'd work on the backup issue first, so you don't have an even larger problem on your hands, and then do a full restore.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules