Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Why wasn't the iPod Touch updated last year?

Why wasn't the iPod Touch updated last year?
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2014, 05:01 AM

Hi,

it comes as a bit of a late question, but why didn't they update the iPod Touch last year? Does this make any sense? Shouldn't it be on par now, new processor, better camera etc.?

Any thoughts?
Pete
Think a new age is coming.

Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2014, 07:51 AM

Apple are keeping the iPod line going, but they aren't investing into it.

People are replacing their iPods with smartphones.

Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2014, 05:24 PM

Is that everything? I'm not so into it, but I thought the iPod Touch was always updated at less regular intervals than the iPhone. What so you think when the next update will come, if there will be any?

In addition, how does the current iPod Touch fare? What could improve in the next generation?

Mar 18, 2014, 05:54 PM

ipod touches are great for those kids who are not old enough to really need a phone. I think family plans are becoming more reasonable now, so that its easier than it was to get junior a phone too.

I haven't checked it out in a while.

Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2014, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
ipod touches are great for those kids who are not old enough to really need a phone. I think family plans are becoming more reasonable now, so that its easier than it was to get junior a phone too.

I haven't checked it out in a while.
I'm about to get one. Look, I need an MP3 player and a camera and I don't want to carry 600 Euros around whenever I'm in the mood for taking photos. I'd use it for some emailing, web surfing, facebooking, too, but I have an iPad 4 ... (so whenever I'll write a novel, I'm done already, see). So, it's not for games. I know it's old by many current standards, but I googled a bit and saw some photos (taken with it), and I also played with it a while in the Apple Store here in town yesterday. iOS 7 appears to lack some animation, like in the weather app, but it seemed reasonably fast...

Hmm?

Mar 19, 2014, 12:08 PM

Remember, it's wifi only, lower quality camera, and no gps.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2014, 12:44 PM

Camera is on iPhone 5/4S level, they write... No?

P
Mar 19, 2014, 07:19 PM

The 16 GB version has a very low-quality camera, looks like 3GS level or thereabouts. 32/64 GB version has a camera that seems similar to the iPhone 4, although possibly with a shorter focus length given that the entire device is thinner. It's certainly not 4S. That said, the iPhone 4 camera is a fine point-and-shoot camera, and the first iPhone camera that was really "good enough" on that score.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2014, 06:30 AM

The 16 GB version has no camera at all ...

P
Mar 20, 2014, 08:07 AM

Yes, it has the front camera, which is roughly equivalent to the front camera on a recent iPhone and the main camera on a 3G or thereabouts (3GS is actually a bit better).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2014, 12:43 PM

Yes. That's what I meant.

Buy or not buy?

Proper camera or not? I looked around on the web and I feel it's an okay price level, I mean, I suppose there is no iOS 7 preinstalled, so the system could still be speedy, I looked at pictures taken with the camera and they look not bad. It is 5 MP, some reviews state, others say it is 8 MP. Hmm.

P
Mar 21, 2014, 07:05 AM

Read your post above again, and you say you have an iPad 4. That's the same camera as that iPod touch you're considering.

Forum Links
Forum Rules