Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Uninstalling XP (boot camp)

Uninstalling XP (boot camp)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2006, 05:02 PM

In an effort to fix many problems that arose with my windows after using boot camp, I decided to uninstall windows from my system. I opened boot camp and chose the option to remove windows and restore my drive into a single partition. I was really surprised at how fast the boot camp assistant did this. Anyway, so afterward, it asked for a restart which I so happily obliged. However, I get that purplish gray screen in the beginning where normally there is an apple in the center and the spinning thing under it. Now it was just blank for a while. Then up pops a folder with a question mark. After a short time that turns into the apple and mac os x boots normally.

Wow what a scare. Now I notice that every time I restart or boot up, the same thing happens. Blank screen for a while, the folder with question mark for a short while, then the apple and boots normally. I tried repairing permissions and checking to see if disk utility only saw one partition and everything is normal there. What should I do?

Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2006, 05:52 PM

Have you tried System Preferences/Startup Disk - select "Mac OS X, 10.x.x on Macintosh HD" (or whatever you've named your drive)?
HyperNova Software, LLC
Check out SuperScanner! for the iPad

Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2006, 09:11 PM

Yes, it is already selected. =(

Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2006, 09:16 PM

Oh my... scratch that. So in the past, I thought all you had to do was select the drive and then quit out of system preferences. Now that I pressed the restart button with the drive selected from the startup disk preference pane, it works fine.

By the way, the typical way to fix a particularly nasty Windows installation problem is to format the partition and reinstall Windows. The formatting completely removes all vestiges of Windows, so your new installation is all "lemony fresh" and completely unaffected by anything you've done before. If you really want to reinstall Windows, instead of dumping it entirely, just reformat that partition and start over.
( Last edited by ghporter; Jul 15, 2006 at 11:57 AM. )

Administrator
Jul 15, 2006, 11:55 AM

I heard the meaty "THWACK" of your palm hitting your forehead from here! I hate making that sort of goof, and I'm sure you did too. But it works now, right? That's the main thing.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2006, 03:33 PM

^ haha thanks. And I tried to simply reinstall Windows but in the middle of it, got the blue screen of death and windows shut down. Which is when I turned to boot camp. Thanks again.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2007, 01:53 AM

Hello,
I've succesfully uninstalled boot camp from my computer but now every time I start it it takes longer than before and the sound and brightness goes completly down.

Can anyone please help me?

Forum Links
Forum Rules