Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Macbook Pro Keyboard Freezes when Using Bootcamp

Macbook Pro Keyboard Freezes when Using Bootcamp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 01:09 PM

Hello,

I've been trying to install XP on my Macbook Pro using either Bootcamp
or Parallels. The install seems to work, but when I get to the point where
I need to hit the enter key to install XP, my keyboard completely freezes. What
do I need to do to fix this? Or is there another button besides the enter
or f2 key? But regardless, my keyboard freezes so I can't seem to use
XP no matter what app I try.

Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 05:08 PM

Although my own install of XP worked reasonably well, I've heard from a number of people who've had the same (or similar) problem as you. In some cases, it was a defective XP CD (there seem to be a lot of them out there). Others had to try several times before it worked.

I found that using an external USB keyboard and mouse helps.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Administrator
Sep 27, 2006, 10:06 PM

Windows is not built to deal effectively with a USB keyboard at boot up. Have you tried rebooting (maybe multiple times)? I have a PC that gets notional if I've changed the hardware (like added a firewire card) and doesn't want to see the USB keyboard until after a few reboots-it's possible that this is similar to your problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 08:48 AM

No, I got tied up with some other things. I did enable the FN Key in the systems settings, so I'll try installing a couple of more times this weekend. I don't want to pay $300
for another WinXP on the vain hopes that it "might" work. Especially since I already own a legal copy of it and have had it for several years. So I'll try it a couple of more times and see what happens, if it doesn't work, I may just sell my Macbook Pro on ebay next week because this entire experience and dealing with Apple has been sort of a nightmare.

Administrator
Sep 28, 2006, 09:00 AM

If you're paying $300 for a copy of XP, you're paying at least three times as much as you should. You can find XP Pro for around $100 in a lot of places.

However, since you're having problems with this particular disc, you might take it to the place you got it from and let them know it seems to be messed up. If it's a decent place, they should at least work with you...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 09:02 AM

It's not the disk, I've used it on various PCs for the last two or three years. I'm not a student, so where can I find XP Pro for $100?

Forum Links
Forum Rules