Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Possible to run Microsoft JVM?

Possible to run Microsoft JVM?
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2007, 10:36 PM

Hi,

I am strongly considering a Mac Pro. The only problem is, I am tied to a specific PC app that requires the Microsoft JVM. The app will not work with the Sun JVM, period. Has anyone been able to install and run the Microsoft JVM in parallels?

thanks

Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2007, 11:07 PM

You can install the MS JVM in Parallels or Windows running on bare metal with BootCamp.

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2007, 11:24 PM

Ok cool- is constantly having Parallels open a resource hog? Does it become a memory leak after a while? That would be the only thing I'd need to use Windows for, but I need to have it open for most of the day running in the background.

The last Mac I owned was a Powerbook G3, which I loved. Been on PC for the past 6 or so years, looking to come back :-)

Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2007, 10:18 AM

There does seem to be memory leaks and it is resource intensive so I recommend a lot of ram. I have 2 gig and my machine swapping increases dramatically when I leave it open. I just about more ram which will hopefully help that situation.
Michael

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2007, 11:19 AM

Loading MS JVM in Parallels will not allow Mac programs to access/use it. You'll need to use it in Windows.

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
There does seem to be memory leaks and it is resource intensive so I recommend a lot of ram. I have 2 gig and my machine swapping increases dramatically when I leave it open. I just about more ram which will hopefully help that situation.
Ouch...I was probably going to get 2 gig too :-(

Originally Posted by cgc
Loading MS JVM in Parallels will not allow Mac programs to access/use it. You'll need to use it in Windows.
Yeah, I know :-) This one Windows program relies on the Microsoft JVM, so I have no other choice really.

Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by shinji View Post
Ouch...I was probably going to get 2 gig too :-(.
Don't get me wrong, performance was/is seemingly fine with 2 gig, I need the extra ram for photoshop and aperture. Parallels does seem to have some memory leaks but not too severe but noticable when I left it running for an extended time. They were much worse in some of the betas they released a while a ago.
Michael

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2007, 06:31 PM

Well this is the program I need to run StatsRemote :: Home :: The ultimate webmaster tool - All your stats at a glance!

Really just need to run that with a browser open, Dreamweaver, and sometimes Photoshop. Everything works perfectly on my current 2.8 ghz Xeon (single core), but this system is 3 years, looking to upgrade.

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2007, 06:31 PM

haha, that looked spammy...I only meant to show the URL, not the marketing gimmick..

Forum Links
Forum Rules