Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Does Bootcamp 1.2 solve the 2GB RAM limit in XP?

Does Bootcamp 1.2 solve the 2GB RAM limit in XP?
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2007, 04:18 PM

I posted this a looong time ago. I've got 3GB of RAM in my MP, yet WinXP only recognizes 2GB. Others also have reported this, and NO the "3GB switch" in Win is NOT the solution... Some have said it may be on Apple's end, some limit in the EFI...

Now I read in the Bootcamp 1.2 site that they now require Mac Pros to have over 2GB of RAM installed. Does this mean that they've fixed the problem in the EFI???

Anyone got a Mac Pro and Bootcamp 1.2 and over 2 GB of RAM??? What does your Window$ report for RAM????

Senior User
Apr 12, 2007, 08:44 AM

No, Windows should recognize your 3GB without any extra work. The fact that it doesn't is a firmware and/or motherboard driver issue. Most likely the former.

BootCamp requiring more than 2GB on the Mac Pro? Where'd you read that? I'd be very surprised if that were the case.

FWIW, my MBP C2D w/XP saw 3GB no problem w/BootCamp 1.1 and 1.2.

Not sure how helpful this is, but in another thread, there's a report of somebody using Vista 64, and getting all 10GB(?!) recognized.

Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2007, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by mfbernstein View Post
No, Windows should recognize your 3GB without any extra work. The fact that it doesn't is a firmware and/or motherboard driver issue. Most likely the former.
BootCamp requiring more than 2GB on the Mac Pro? Where'd you read that? I'd be very surprised if that were the case.
As mentioned in OP, I'm not the only one who has posted about this...
http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternat...l-ram-upgrade/
http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternat...-ram-shows-up/

As far as being surprised, OK then, be surprised!!! check out page 4 of the Boot Camp 1.2 manual. Hopefully if they require more than 2GB RAM with Vista, then this issue has been fixed wherever it resides...

What You Need
Here’s what you need to install and set up Windows on your Mac:
An Intel-based Mac computer, with:
a USB keyboard and mouse, or a built-in keyboard and trackpad
Mac OS X version 10.4.6 or later (the latest version of Mac OS X is highly
recommended)
all firmware updates for your computer
At least 10 GB of free space on the disk you’re installing on
2 GB or more of RAM when running Vista on a Mac Pro computer

Forum Links
Forum Rules