Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Can I Use A Freinds Vista Premium Copy For Bootcamp

Can I Use A Freinds Vista Premium Copy For Bootcamp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2007, 02:18 PM

Instead of buying windows, if my friend has a windows vista disc can i use bootcamp to install it even if my friend has already used the disc?

Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2007, 02:36 PM

Ahh I think that's called stealing and no you cannot.

Also MS has incorporated something called activation would prevents this type of "sharing"

Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2007, 02:43 PM

Nope. One DVD = one installation.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Administrator
Jul 24, 2007, 05:05 PM

NO, YOU CANNOT DO THIS.

The staff of the MacNN forums vigorously enforces a policy of not helping anyone pirate or violate license agreements, nor allowing the discussion of methods to do this.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by nestor3 View Post
Instead of buying windows, if my friend has a windows vista disc can i use bootcamp to install it even if my friend has already used the disc?
Sure you can, IF
1) You do not activate or register (two different things by the way) it using his CD Key (which would be considered an act software piracy -- a felony -- by Microsoft). Of course, you would be unable to use it without without activating it beyond the 30 grace period. If you just want to try it out, order a full-version trial copy from Microsoft for 10 or 15 bucks (shipping and handling). You will get a Key which you will be able to use up to 120 days consecutively three times.
2) See (1) above

If you buy your own license, you can use anyone's copy to install it, but not their PID (CD-Key). Of course, that would defeat your purpose (as I interpret it -- forgive me if I'm wrong about your motives), as it is meant to do.

So buy your own install kit, and don't worry about "borrowing" your friend's. You will be much better off, and have a clearer conscience when you face your Maker ( Whoever or Whatever that might be) or a judge. And you will also have your own copy of Windows if you ever need to reinstall it. If you do decide to purchase a copy, do NOT purchase a Retail Upgrade, since you will be UNABLE to install it via Boot Camp. WHY? Simple: you need to be able to open the CD Tray in order to insert a previous licensed copy of Windows during the upgrade, which is not currently possible using Apple's slot-loaded DVD drives. If your DVD drive is tray-loaded, with an external control to eject the tray, it MAY be possible, however. Never tried it, since my Apples have all had slot-loading drives.

Or get a trial copy from Microsoft, then decide whether it is worth the $150 or more for a retail or OEM version.

NOTE:
Windows install kits are not each unique, and have NO physical anti-copying devices on them, such as bad data sectors, etc. PERIOD. The KEY provided by Microsoft is used during Activation as proof of a valid license, not the installation media itself.

Donald McDaniel

Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by orthocross View Post
If you just want to try it out, order a full-version trial copy from Microsoft for 10 or 15 bucks (shipping and handling). You will get a Key which you will be able to use up to 120 days consecutively three times.
Actually, you can do that without a key. The trial period can be extended three times for a total of 4 months, or 120 days. And you can purchase a full version key right from within Vista. No need to spend 10-15 bucks when you can borrow your friend's copy (with the intent to do a trial or purchase a key from within Windows, and not with the intent to pirate it).

Originally Posted by orthocross View Post
If you do decide to purchase a copy, do NOT purchase a Retail Upgrade, since you will be UNABLE to install it via Boot Camp. WHY? Simple: you need to be able to open the CD Tray in order to insert a previous licensed copy of Windows during the upgrade, which is not currently possible using Apple's slot-loaded DVD drives. If your DVD drive is tray-loaded, with an external control to eject the tray, it MAY be possible, however. Never tried it, since my Apples have all had slot-loading drives.
Actually, that's only true for the upgrade version of XP. You can use the Upgrade version of Vista (despite what Apple says) because the way it installs is different. The retail and upgrade DVDs for all versions Vista are identical... it is the key that determines whether you get upgrade vs full install, home basic vs premium vs business vs ultimate. (Even the european "N" versions are there). The difference is that you can't boot the installer from the DVD and use an upgrade key. The upgrade key can only work if you start the installer from an already installed version of XP or Vista (trial versions included).

I myself bought the upgrade version of Vista Ultimate. I had Windows XP Pro installed in Boot Camp, and just upgraded it, no problem. Vista does not have the option where you can insert an old Windows CD to prove eligibility.

Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Nope. One DVD = one installation.
One Key = one installation.

One DVD = multiple installations of a trial copy which can be activated by purchasing a key from Microsoft right from within Vista.

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 26, 2007, 02:13 PM

What you can do with Vista though, is install the trial version and then use the trial version to start the upgrade install where you can use your upgrade license key.

Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
What you can do with Vista though, is install the trial version and then use the trial version to start the upgrade install where you can use your upgrade license key.
Yes, I sorta pointed that out above, but that is also technically a violation of the license agreement and still not an ethical choice to make, unless you have a valid XP license that is not going to be used on any machine.

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 26, 2007, 07:07 PM

Not having installed the upgrade of Vista, I didn't know it didn't ask for a CD any more. With XP you could insert a CD with any OS from 95 and up I think.

It's probably not ethical like you said, but at least you would have paid Microsoft for a license, it's a lot better than pirating it.

Administrator
Jul 26, 2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
One Key = one installation.

One DVD = multiple installations of a trial copy which can be activated by purchasing a key from Microsoft right from within Vista.
That's getting a bit nit picky, but it's valid. This "trial copy" thing is a decent idea, but as usual, MS hasn't made it very obvious how to use it, or even that it exists.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Baninated
Jul 30, 2007, 08:17 AM

thanx for post

Forum Links
Forum Rules