Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Small Linux booting from external drive?

Small Linux booting from external drive?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 05:57 PM

Getting some time off soon and traveling, I would like to take some time to familiarize myself with the Linux command line, without modifying my G4 Panther PowerBook.

The idea would be to boot form a small Linux distribution on a small external drive, be it USB drive, large CF card and whatnot.

Can boot Linux from external?
Best distribution with small footprint, or possibility of custom minimal install?

Note that:
- I am not looking for a full-fledged package, just a core Linux to practice command lines.

- I realize I could do most of that within OSX, but like the idea of leaving it alone for now..

Your thoughts?

Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2007, 06:00 PM

Take a look at some of the guides online and see what you think, such as the following:

Linux: How to install Linux on a USB drive - Lifehacker

Additional options would include booting off of a Live Linux CD (e.g. Ubuntu, Knoppix, etc.), or running Linux in a virtual machine (provided by Qemu or Virtual PC).

Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2007, 06:01 PM

You can install Qemu and QemuX from Macports. I'd recommend doing this, as Qemu is itself a fairly common Linux tool you can use to get your feet wet with.

Edit: looks like QemuX is now "Q":

AboutKju - [kju:] - Trac

gears  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 10:01 PM

.. nice, thanks (where else would I have heard of Q..??)

I have Q installed, will work on picking a small footprint distribution from the choices offered thru Q's interface.

I am finishing my Merlot (Sterling Vineyards), so, I should put the keyboard away for now...

Forum Links
Forum Rules