Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > No Sound/Audio when booting in XP

No Sound/Audio when booting in XP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2007, 05:17 PM

a while back i deleted the mac partition and recreated it, installing windows on it. i dont mind that i can't go back to the mac os, but i have trouble with something. i installed all the drivers but the sound/audio. i downloaded something called driverguide toolkit. it says that my sound device is "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC", but the status is error. sound does not work for me. i have a macbook, i need to find the correct driver,could someone please help? and another question, there isn't a video card in a macbook when you buy it? my aim is nonfatyogurtt, if you think you can help, please contact me

Aug 24, 2007, 05:50 PM

the video graphics card is embedded in the macbooks. It's not something separate.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2007, 06:05 PM

so oi'd still have to install the driver, correct? what is the video card?

Aug 24, 2007, 06:10 PM

Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory

Apple - MacBook - Technical Specifications

Aug 24, 2007, 06:11 PM

If you have another Mac, or a friend with one, they can download Boot Camp, then save the latest drivers to a CD or USB flash drive for you to install in Windows.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2007, 06:46 PM

idont know anyone else with a macbook, could you guys share the drivers?

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 06:55 AM

Please try to use more appropriate / less vague thread titles
we don't have time to stop for gas

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2007, 09:20 AM

sorry, this is my first posting a thread here, so could anyone share the drivers that im missing?

Administrator
Aug 25, 2007, 09:36 AM

You're going to have to manage this in some "nontraditional" way-having done away with your OS X installation completely (without having read ahead enough to see that you needed to burn a drivers CD before you did that), you may actually need someone to MAIL you a CD.

If I were you, I'd back up my whole Windows partition and (you guessed it) start from scratch. Really. It would take far less effort to do a backup, wipe the drive, reinstall OS X, burn the drivers CD, and then go back to the configuration you have now than to wander around all over the place looking for the drivers.

And of course this is one reason Apple says that you should retain at least a small OS X partition... I don't mean to scold, but you really should have done more homework before nuking OS X. Sorry.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2007, 10:09 AM

can't i just find the type of hardware i have, and install the correct drivers? is it possible that someone posts the drivers for macbook?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2007, 10:41 AM

could someone attach the driver for audio for macbook?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2007, 01:05 PM

please, i've been looking all over for the driver. would someone be kind enogh to post it?

Oct 20, 2007, 01:10 PM

I don't have a way to host it, otherwise I'd post it for you.

But this still wouldn't solve your long-term problem. You really need at least a small OS X installation, either locally or on an external drive you can boot from, in order to have a way to download and transfer Boot Camp updates.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 09:59 AM

the driver isn't just some .exe file?

Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2007, 10:24 AM

I'm in the same boat with regards to the driver except I didn't hose my OS X partition. When I got my new AL iMac, it came with a drop in Leopard disc. Before I loaded any of my stuff, I immediately did a format and fresh install of Leopard and then reinstalled the basic apps. I launched Bootcamp, setup a 32GB partition and then quit.

Fast forward 2 weeks to last night, when I installed XP Pro. Same problem as the original poster, no driver for sound. I can't believe that as ghporter said, it will be easier to wipe the Windows partition and start over. It's one driver. I used the drivers on the Leopard dropin disc so they are the very latest. Can someone post a link for this mysterious missing driver and perhaps instructions? It would be very much appreciated.

Administrator
Nov 7, 2007, 06:39 PM

My suggestion was not that this person reinstall Windows-but that he start over and leave at least SOME OS X partition so he could burn the driver disc and thus install the drivers. You may find the right driver on this page. On the other hand, is the driver really "missing," or is it simply not properly installed? Try looking at the Device Manager to see whether the Intel High Definition Audio hardware is detected. If it is, what's its status? You may need to manually "encourage" the driver to install through use of the "update driver" button on the device's details page. The driver should be in the Intel/Chipset folder in the drivers folder.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules