Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Change Windows XP UI Language

Change Windows XP UI Language
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2007, 06:02 PM

I own a Dutch (Nederlands) copy of Windows XP Home Edition. For practical purposes I have set Mac OS X to English and I'd like to do the same with Windows XP running as a "Guest" in VMware Fusion. Is there any way to change Windows XP's entire UI language from Dutch to English without having to re-buy the OS?

Thanks in advance.

Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2007, 07:59 PM

Start->Control Panel->Regional and Language Settings... seems too obvious.

.Neo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Start->Control Panel->Regional and Language Settings... seems too obvious.
Unfortunately Windows XP isn't Mac OS X. You can't change the UI language (as in the text on contextual menus, applications etc.) by just flipping a switch like that.

Anyway, I managed to find a US version of XP.

Thanks for the reply though.

Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2007, 10:43 PM

.Neo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2007, 10:51 PM

There are some special Windows versions (Windows XP MUI as the site you linked to states) out there that come with Multilingual User Interface Packs. They basically replace a whole bunch of dll files with new ones to change the system language. My standard Windows XP Home Edition NL does not have it however. Nor does the English version I'm using now btw.

Personally I was hoping that Microsoft supplied those packs for standard Windows XP versions as well, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Not for free on their website anyway.
( Last edited by .Neo; Sep 29, 2007 at 10:59 PM. )

Administrator
Sep 30, 2007, 07:37 PM

I customized my XP install to NOT include the bajillion different languages that come with it, but they should be there on a standard installation.

There's a "lang" folder in my install disc's i386 folder, and it's just chock full of language dlls. And in my hard drive Windows folder there's a folder called "mui" which contains a single application called "muisetup." Its file attributes say that it came with SP2...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

.Neo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2007, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I customized my XP install to NOT include the bajillion different languages that come with it, but they should be there on a standard installation.

There's a "lang" folder in my install disc's i386 folder, and it's just chock full of language dlls. And in my hard drive Windows folder there's a folder called "mui" which contains a single application called "muisetup." Its file attributes say that it came with SP2...
Not present on mine. The folder is, but no language dlls and no "muisetup" on my HD. In fact the entire MUI folder is empty. Probably because it's the original 2002 version I bought in early November 2001. Makes me wonder though how are those languages can fit on a single CD.

I fixed my problem yesterday by acquiring an English Windows XP Home Edition disc. It activated just fine with the product key that came with my original Windows XP Home Edition NL disc. So it's all solved now.

Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2007, 08:18 PM

You got yours from your school, didn't you?

There is no way an end user buying an off the shelf copy of XP Home or Pro for $199 or $299 can get the MUIs legally.

Administrator
Oct 1, 2007, 10:36 PM

Actually, yes it was from an academic distribution. I never thought anything about it-and never expected that what I got from my school would be more capable than what someone paying real bucks would get.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

.Neo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2007, 12:58 PM

Actually, yes it was from an academic distribution. I never thought anything about it-and never expected that what I got from my school would be more capable than what someone paying real bucks would get.
From what I've seen around here *only* the Windows copies at my college (and other educational institutes) have the MUI. Retail copies from a local store are just one language. Normally anyway.

It's still beyond me why Windows doesn't feature a similar language system as Mac OS X. Windows Vista was supposed to introduce this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules