Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Cheapest way to buy XP? (or maybe Vista)...

Cheapest way to buy XP? (or maybe Vista)...
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2007, 12:46 AM

What (or where) is the cheapest way to buy a legal copy of XP? I've got a MBP and just loaded 10.5 and I want to be able to run XP or Vista.

Also, if somebody has purchased XP and registered it with Microsoft, can they sell it to me legally?

As far as Vista, I've got a 2.16 MBP and I don't think the graphics card will run some of the eye candy in it. Is this true?

Thanks in advance to all who answer.

- Mark

Oct 28, 2007, 04:33 AM

You could Google it to try to find a low price.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2007, 12:09 AM

The cheapest way is if you are a student or know a student is to go through the educational institution. Universities sometimes have free or low cost versions of XP. My school gave out corporate versions (multiple installs/no activation) of XP to any registered student.

The next best place to get XP cheap is an OEM copy from newegg for $120 or so.

i would not trust ebay.

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2007, 08:25 PM

Try Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2B for System Builders: Software
or for Vista Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit for System Builders [DVD]: Software
As far as I know it's legal. Don't transfer the license to another machine later if you buy this version -- that's NOT legal.

I bought Vista this way for my iMac and like it quite a bit. Only $89.99. You probably want Vista Home Premium or XP Home - XP Pro or Vista Ultimate if you really need power.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2007, 08:35 PM

As far as Vista is concerned, here's a vote of "Try it - It's as good as any Windows".
Vista WILL run Aero and such on your machine and should also be quite fast if you have at least 2GB RAM. So no graphics or speed worries. It's more secure and has more features, plus some newer software will require it. Finally, if you only have 1GB RAM, consider upgrading (Leopard also like more RAM very much) but it will still be fine even if you don't just not super fast. I have 1GB RAM on my Vista iMac running Aero- no complaints.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2007, 10:47 PM

Keep in mind that XP OEM licenses are transferable from machine to machine and Vista OEM licenses are not.

Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Keep in mind that XP OEM licenses are transferable from machine to machine and Vista OEM licenses are not.
Actually I was under the impression as most others were that XP OEM licenses were not transferable. There's been some pretty lengthy discussion on this when bootcamp first came out. Check the eula, but I'm 99% sure you cannot transfer an OEM license regardless if its XP or Vista.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2007, 02:36 PM

What do you intendo on using XP for? If you're going to be in any corporate enviroment (read: a domain) XP Home won't let you join said domain.
You'll need XP Pro to join domains.

Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Actually I was under the impression as most others were that XP OEM licenses were not transferable. There's been some pretty lengthy discussion on this when bootcamp first came out. Check the eula, but I'm 99% sure you cannot transfer an OEM license regardless if its XP or Vista.
Of course, it's never as clear as we'd all like it to be.
Vista OEM/System Builder licenses are non-transferable; the first PC you activate them on is the only PC you will ever activate them on. Even the Retail/FPP license is only transferable once.
XP OEM licenses from the royalty OEMs (about the 20 biggest PC OEMs) are also non-transferable.
Other XP OEM licenses (those purchased from a reseller or with a new PC from someone in Microsoft’s OEM System Builder program) are transferable.

Details and license excerpts here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules