Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Windows Home Server & CALs

Windows Home Server & CALs
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 02:35 PM

I've read on numerous websites that since Windows Home Server is a repackaged Windows Server 2003, that Microsoft still collects CALs from users.

That would mean roughly $25 for every device (computers, cell phones, PDAs, smart appliances) that access its services.

The way Microsoft is crunching down on licenses with WGA, I wonder if people will start receiving bills in the mail from Microsoft every year.

"You owe us $225 this year. 3 computers, 4 cell phones, and 2 PDAs were backed up on your Windows Home Server. Thank you for using Microsoft. Here's a free bottle of lubrication."
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Administrator
Nov 9, 2007, 02:54 PM

I can smell "class action suit" if they do that without it being quite explicit that there's a "per seat" charge for Home Server. And that is completely against the supposed spirit of Home Server-to handle a home network that (Redmond is hoping) is all PCs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 05:40 PM

I've found two different answers. I've found websites that sell the OS separately with 10 CALs. Then I found websites that sell the HP Home Server that supports up to 10 machines.

According to Ed Bott on ZDNet, he says you don't have to pay an annual Microsoft tax. It has a slightly different EULA. I guess you don't have to pay it... yet. I'm sure Microsoft will just rebadge it as a "LIVE" service, then charge per computer anyway.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2007, 06:52 PM

Are we being trolled? Is this just a FUD post?

Microsoft doesn't have you address nor does Windows Server report back to them, so they're not going to "surprise" send you a bill. Nor do they bill for CALs annually; it's a one-time deal.

Windows Home Server comes with 10 CALs, so you can connect 10 simultaneous clients. Same as the 10-client version of OS X Server; no secret reporting, no surprise billing.

Administrator
Nov 9, 2007, 07:00 PM

I'll bet the sites that say it comes with 10 CALs and the ones that say it "supports up to 10 machines" are actually saying the same thing. It would be in MS's best interest to make this as simple and smooth as possible, and some sort of hidden "oh by the way, you need to buy a bunch of seat licenses now" would be counter to that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules