Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Boot Camp: Install XP on External Hard Drive?

Boot Camp: Install XP on External Hard Drive?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2007, 10:14 PM

I need to install Windows on my Intel Macbook for one reason... to run a decent version Quicken. But i have only about 20 gigs left on my internal drive.

So my question is: Can i buy an external drive and use Boot Camp to install XP on the external drive?

Other Questions:

1. Can i boot XP to an external drive
2. Buy a Firewire or USB Drive
4. How big to make the windows partition (i will use the balance for backup and storage)

Any help is appreciated

Dec 1, 2007, 10:23 PM

here's an article about it: Booting Windows XP From An External Drive - Mac Guides

Some mucking around involved.

You'd be better off in the long run upgrading your internal drive. On the Macbook, it is extremely easy.

However, you can easily run a Windows virtual machine (e.g., one from VMware Fusion or Parallels) from an external drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules