Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > can't stop Mac booting into windows

can't stop Mac booting into windows
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 12:51 PM

Grrr

Every time I restart the machine it boots into windows. I've tried holding the alt key down and selecting the Mac OS partition and that starts OK but the next time, it's straight back into windows again.

Any ideas

ta

Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 01:05 PM

d'oh! Of course. Startup disc - OS X on HDD.

gnnnn!!!!!

Administrator
Jan 28, 2008, 06:06 PM

I love problems like this! Keep 'em coming!

Seriously, by default when you install Windows through Boot Camp it becomes the default boot OS because it has to be to complete the installation. This is a major hole in the documentation in my opinion-it should be clearly and explicitly stated, perhaps in bold, italic type.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I love problems like this! Keep 'em coming!

Seriously, by default when you install Windows through Boot Camp it becomes the default boot OS because it has to be to complete the installation. This is a major hole in the documentation in my opinion-it should be clearly and explicitly stated, perhaps in bold, italic type.
Or even better, installing the drivers should switch OS X back to default.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Administrator
Jan 29, 2008, 07:55 AM

The drivers don't necessarily make the switch-I still had to manually select OS X as my default after installing drivers on my iMac. The drivers do include the Control Panel applet that lets you choose which OS is default from Windows, but it's not automatic-at least not all the time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules