Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > bootcamp - where is it?

bootcamp - where is it?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2008, 08:13 AM

My wife needed a new computer, so she bought a 24" iMac Widescreen with Leopard 10.5.3 . The salesman
assured her several times that the o/s included Bootcamp. Well, when she got home and set it up, she
couldn't find it. (Neither she nor I are experienced Mac users; I, however, would probably qualify as a very
experienced Microsoft Windows user.) In the process of rooting around, my wife downloaded a bunch of
updates that upgraded the o/s to 10.5.5 . According to what she read , those updates included Bootcamp.
But i still can't find it. Where is it supposed to be (I've looked in the Applications folder and don't recognize
anything) ? What is it, exactly , that i'm looking for? Is it supposed to be called bootcamp.exe? or
bootcamp.dbf? or something entirely different? I know how to install things in the Microsoft world -- how
would i "install" bootcamp if i did find it? Can anyone point me to any online resources for bootcamp?
Thanks in advance.

Oct 27, 2008, 08:19 AM

Boot Camp is located in /Applications/Utilities (Boot Camp Assistant). Make sure to do a full backup of your data before repartitioning.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2008, 12:36 PM

And be sure to print out and read the Installation and Setup Guide before doing any partitioning/installing. One wrong move and you'll have a Mac that won't boot into either OS.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Oct 27, 2008, 01:29 PM

I think the issue here is the definition of the word "included." Boot Camp is indeed "included" with OS X in the form of the Boot Camp Assistant as mentioned. However, on a new Mac, Boot Camp (with a version of Windows) is not installed. You have to use the Assistant to create the Windows partition and then install Windows (XP SP2 or later; your own copy) to the new partition.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2008, 09:51 AM

It sounds like both you and your wife would highly benefit from Woopid

Take a look at this Boot Camp How to/explanation video - after watching, be sure to scroll down and look at the take a step back, moving forward sections depending on whether you're confused of ready to keep moving on.

I also suggest you both watch this general intro video on using the Mac

Also, here are some helpful bundles (which are a group of videos):
How to use 15 new features in Leopard
OSX Leopard for Beginners
The complete "bundle's page

The site will be a good resource for, and I think you'll find the "results as you type" search especially helpful.
Good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules