Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Mac Pro won't boot Winstall DVD. "No bootable device."

Mac Pro won't boot Winstall DVD. "No bootable device."
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2012, 07:59 AM

I have a curious problem that is preventing me from installing Windows on my Mac Pro 1,1.

What happens after I insert the Windows install DVD and restart the computer holding the option key:

After selecting the Windows disc from the startup menu, I'm greeted by a circle with a slash through it, alternating with a symbol of a broken folder. As described here these apparently mean "could not load boot.efi," and "no bootable device has been found" respectively.

If I restart from within Boot Camp Assistant, I get the same results. Occasionally (around 1 in 5 times) it will show a black screen instead, with the words "no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key".

I have tried this with Vista x86 and x64, as well as Win 7 x86, all to no avail. Both Vista discs have worked on this exact computer in the past.

Since the last time I successfully installed Windows I have replaced the IDE optical drive with one that plugs into a spare SATA port. Maybe that's where the problem is? (I also upgraded the graphics card to an ATi Radeon 5770, but I can't imagine that's the problem.)

Googling has been useless so far. Help would be very much appreciated.

(edited for clarification)

Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2012, 08:47 AM

Generally, you get the black screen with the "no bootable device" message after the preliminary installation of Windows (first restart from within Boot Camp works, install runs, and then a restart which results in that screen).

The fix in all cases I have encountered is to delete the Boot Camp partition with the Boot Camp Assistant, and then re-do the partition and re-install Windows, but THIS TIME MAKE SURE to let the Windows installer format the appropriate partition.
Quick format is okay.

Also, make sure you select the correct partition for installation.

ikea  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2012, 08:53 AM

Thanks, and I did come across people with the problem you describe while Googling solutions to my own problem, but this error occurs before the Windows installation process has even started. I can't even get as far as to have my Mac boot from the install disc, let alone install Windows on the disk I prepared.

Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2012, 10:06 AM

So, to get this clear:

1. You have an unpartitioned disk.

2. You use Boot Camp Assistant to create a partition.

3. When it asks you whether you want to install Windows NOW, you click "Install Now" and insert the install disk as requested.

4. IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THAT, it won't reboot?

Is that correct?

ikea  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2012, 10:58 AM

Yes, with the exception that I am in fact formatting an entire 500GB disk in Boot Camp Assistant without partitioning.

As I briefly mentioned, I have also tried formatting with Disk Utility instead, and attempting to boot into the Windows install DVD by holding option on startup. Immediately after I select the install disc in the firmware menu I get one of the two error messages I describe above.

At no point do I manage to successfully boot into anything but my regular OS X disk.

P
Dec 2, 2012, 11:10 PM

First up: you have to use a 32-bit version of Windows. On that model, 64-bit Windows is not supported.

Second: Yes, it is highly likely that the replacement of the DVD is the root cause of this. Apple's BIOS simulation, AKA Boot Camp, only supports booting from a very small number of devices, as I discovered on my iMac (recent thread in this forum). I think you'd have to put an IDE DVD back in to make this work.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ikea  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2012, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
First up: you have to use a 32-bit version of Windows. On that model, 64-bit Windows is not supported.
I have previously installed the 64-bit version of Vista on this Mac. There were some issues as the Boot Camp drivers weren't available in x64, but it's far from impossible.

Thank you to everyone. I guess it's time to find out if external optical drives will work… my old IDE drive is broken.

P
Dec 4, 2012, 06:43 AM

I believe I can save you some trouble there: External opticals do not work - at least not on my Late 2009 iMac, which is generally far more accepting on what it boots from.

Did you run Vista 64 directly, installed with Bootcamp? I know that it can be done with a bootloader, but I didn't think Bootcamp even let you try.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ikea  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2012, 02:44 PM

Damn. This is going to be more trouble than it's worth. The guy at my local tech shop gave me a weird look when I asked for an IDE drive and told me they hadn't stocked anything but SATA in years. Is there literally no way for me to install Windows outside of hunting down an IDE drive?

I installed Vista 64 without any modification to the bootloader. I specifically remember that shortly after Vista came out, the Boot Camp drivers for volume/eject keys, etc. were 32bit only, and I had to browse forums like this one for a workaround.

Thank you again for the help.

Administrator
Dec 5, 2012, 03:50 PM

Newegg has an IDE DVD-ROM for $20.

Forum Links
Forum Rules