Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Cannot see files on Mac HD from Bootcamp

Cannot see files on Mac HD from Bootcamp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2014, 09:10 AM

I can only see some of the files on the Mac HD while using Windows 7 and Bootcamp. For example, in one file folder I can only see 13 of the 29 files that are actually there.

Apple Care would not help me with this problem. I hope someone here can solve this mystery.

P
Sep 15, 2014, 04:10 AM

You don't mention any details of your setup, but do you have the latest version of Bootcamp? It includes an HFS+ driver for Windows, which appears to be malfunctioning. If you have updated Mac OS X, you need to update Bootcamp in Windows as well.

Also: What happens if you show hidden files in Windows? The option to do so is under Tools -> Folder options -> View.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2014, 09:30 AM

I could not see certain files because those files used file names not allowed in Windows 7. I had a / (forward slash) in some of the file names. A / is not allowed in a Windows 7 file name.

I installed Paragon HSF+ and then I could see the files with a / in the file names. Of course this also made me believe there was something wrong with the bootcamp HFS+ drivers.

The simple, "obvious" answers are always the hardest to spot... some times.

P
Sep 16, 2014, 06:27 AM

Aha. That is a nice little trap. Didn't know that Apple's HFS+ driver was so stupid.

/ is a banned character in almost all file systems - HFS+ is one of the few that allow it. The reason is that / is used as the directory separator in most file systems, but HFS+ uses : instead - and as a result, bans :. If you look at HFS+ files through the UNIX layer, every / is turned into a :, but it is actually a / in the actual storage on disk.

Windows bans a lot of characters: anything non-printable plus /\|:*?"<>. Also goes bananas if the total path is over 255 chars, or if you include a file with a banned name, like "com1".
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2014, 10:05 AM

Using Automator to change all / to a - in file names.

First Step is to choose which file folder(s) to replace all / with - (or whatever). Selecting Mac HD would not be a wise choice.

Second step is to add Find Finder Items. Search on Name, contains. You are looking for a : (colon), not a /. Automator will NOT find /. At least my Automator would not find any /s.

Third step is to add Rename Finder Items. Automator gives you the option to save an original copy along with the changed-name files. I have never used it so I click on Don't Add. Change the Add Date or Time to Replace Text. Now the tricky part. For the Find box, enter /, NOT the : you found in the second step. Then enter whatever you want to replace the / with.

I figured this out through Brownian Motion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules