Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone Apps > Siri forgetting/accessing contacts

Siri forgetting/accessing contacts
Jul 14, 2014, 01:51 PM

Suddenly, Siri no longer knows how to call my husband. Since I got the phone it's worked great to say, "Call John Cell" or John Smith* and she would call him. Now, when I ask the same thing, she says I don't have a contact with that name, and suggests other people whose name ends with Smith*.

His contact info is still in contacts, his phone shows up in recent calls and favorites...

I have not done the most recent IOS update yet.

Any suggestions for retraining Siri?

Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2014, 05:17 PM

This is a band-aid fix, but it may be the band-aid you need.

The master contact on the phone (i.e. you) as a section for "relationships". There, you can set "John Smith" as "spouse", and then Siri will understand "call my husband".

In theory you could just tell Siri "John Smith is my husband", and it would do the work for you. Considering your problem though, you'll probably need to do it manually.

You can do this for mom, dad, kids, boss, whatever.

Fun Fact: it's not listed as an option, but Siri understands "nemesis" as a possible relationship.

Jul 14, 2014, 06:55 PM

I'll give that a try. Though it feels kind of old-fashioned to say "call my husband."

Why would I have my nemesis in my contacts? Hmmm...

Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2014, 08:08 PM

Siri is traditional enough to assume you have only one, but otherwise makes "husband", "wife", and "spouse" interchangable.

So you can go "call my wife". Very 21st century!

Wait... you don't have your nemesis in your contacts?!?

Jul 14, 2014, 08:24 PM

Well, now call my husband works. I even added other family members. That did not prompt Siri to realize that DH was in the contacts though, so the name problem persists.

Forum Links
Forum Rules