Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > ICC goes on lawsuit spree, sues Apple, others over patent

ICC goes on lawsuit spree, sues Apple, others over patent
MacNN Staff
Oct 31, 2012, 05:06 PM

A "patent troll" type company that owns a single patent (not their own invention) has added Apple and its FaceTime and and Messages to a long list of companies it is suing for patent infringement. The patent, granted in 2006, concerns "an inter-carrier messaging service providing phone number only experience." It was assigned to the Texas company Intercarrier Communications expressly for the purpose of suing other companies. Apple and a number of other companies have been sued over the patent in the last week.

The suits, filed in eastern Virginia district court, are against Apple, Broadsoft, Inerop Technologies, Iris Wireless, Mobiweb and others. Judge John A. Gibney will be the presiding judge, and no trial date has yet been set. Apple, as the most valuable publicly-traded company in the world and one that is sitting on an enormous cash reserve, is a tempting target for non-practicing entities and companies that believe they can leverage cash for their patents out of the company. Intercarriers Communications v. Apple

Oct 31, 2012, 07:26 PM

yawn, these patent lawsuit articles are getting real boring.

Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2012, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by macjockey View Post
yawn, these patent lawsuit articles are getting real boring.
To us they're boring, but to a patent troll it's all they live for.

The Mighty
Location: Well the sports issue was within arm's reach but they closed up shop and kicked me out. And I'm out of toilet paper.
Nov 2, 2012, 10:01 AM

APT: another patent troll
This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules