Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Full review: Sony MDR-1RBT Bluetooth headphones

Full review: Sony MDR-1RBT Bluetooth headphones
MacNN Staff
Dec 29, 2012, 12:11 AM

Sony has a long and distinguished history when it comes to making quality headphones to suit the majority of listeners. In recent years, however, their headphone business has shown signs of becoming commoditized, targeting mainstream users at the expense of audiophiles. Over the past twelve months, though, this has started to change for the better. Sony has come to the party, first with its new line of XBA balanced armature in-ear headphones, and now with its MDR-1R range of over-the-ear premium headphones. Read on in our full review of the Sony MDR-1RBT Bluetooth headphones.

Banned
Dec 29, 2012, 09:40 AM

Music industry in terms of quality has largely been dictated by teenagers and stupid people with stupid music. They don't know what quality is.... who wants some stupid "dre" headphone's? Retarded battle over formats between sony vs other companies and, then there is the people who are ok with mp3 quality vs people who actually put forth the dough to really enjoy their music. It's gone on long enough.

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2012, 02:26 PM

Cool, thx for the review. I've been thinking about getting these as I get a discount on the sony website. But even with $40 off, it's still pricy at $359. And you're right, they did trick me into thinking those arms were aluminum, shame about that.

How do they compare to the Parrot Zik? I wasn't too impressed sound-wise and the gesture based controls are more gimmick that useful. But it does have ANC so that's a plus. Just how good was the Sony's passive noise cancellation? You mention it was good, but don't say anymore.

Banned
Dec 29, 2012, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
Cool, thx for the review. I've been thinking about getting these as I get a discount on the sony website. But even with $40 off, it's still pricy at $359. And you're right, they did trick me into thinking those arms were aluminum, shame about that.
How do they compare to the Parrot Zik? I wasn't too impressed sound-wise and the gesture based controls are more gimmick that useful. But it does have ANC so that's a plus. Just how good was the Sony's passive noise cancellation? You mention it was good, but don't say anymore.
I recommend the Fostex T50RP Studio Headphones modded with all the recommendations. You can even buy a mod kit on ebay, save a ton, and enjoy your music once again for pennies on the dollar compared to the competition.

MacNN Staff
Dec 30, 2012, 03:14 PM

We're also working on a review of two sets of Logitech UE cans.

Forum Links
Forum Rules