Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Data shows OS X 10.9 web traffic rising

Data shows OS X 10.9 web traffic rising
MacNN Staff
Feb 1, 2013, 03:52 PM

Testers running OS X 10.9 are increasingly making their presence felt online, according to AppleInsider. Traffic logs for the website are said to show hits from v10.9 users growing week-by-week during January, peaking in a period shortly after the 22nd. Since then hits have remained relatively consistent.

Engineers working on new versions of OS X regularly tip their hand by visiting outside websites, something necessary to test browser and network functions. If Apple follows the patterns established with OS X Lion and Mountain Lion, v10.9 could be announced in a matter of weeks, and ship in July. The company has switched to an annual cycle for major OS X updates, but lowered the cost of an upgrade to $20.

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2013, 05:13 PM

Do calendar 'annual updates' prioritize shareholder revenue generation and/or support sunsetting over meaningful functionality improvements?

I have a big fat P.O. waiting if Apple ever offers legacy support similar to XP on W7 out to 2020, but until then I am going to run my 10.6.8 business machines as long as I need the PPC software access, or into the ground whichever comes first...

Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2013, 05:45 PM

The ONLY reason XP was supported for as long as it was was that Vista flopped.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2013, 06:06 PM

With OSX 10.9 Apple is bound to drop support for Macs with 64-Bit EFI and only support 65-Bit EFI...just to piss Mac users off...
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2013, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by bobolicious View Post
Do calendar 'annual updates' prioritize shareholder revenue generation and/or support sunsetting over meaningful functionality improvements?

I have a big fat P.O. waiting if Apple ever offers legacy support similar to XP on W7 out to 2020, but until then I am going to run my 10.6.8 business machines as long as I need the PPC software access, or into the ground whichever comes first...
Are you sure you can't migrate away from PPC? Apple's pretty good about giving a window of support then moving on...PPC was good but it's time to move on for 99.9% of users.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2013, 06:28 PM

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9233244/OS_X_Snow_Leopard_shows_signs_of_becoming_Apple_s_ XP

Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2013, 07:25 PM

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2013, 07:36 PM

It's time to leave PPC behind...

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2013, 08:49 PM

...so with no upgrades and everything running just fine a mac consultant might be out of work? Is there a vested interest in stating such a view...? When one has a productive business running on existing apps that do the job just fine and the OS support has a 3 year lifecycle it is hardly useful to depend on for an income. XP/W7 may actually be the only way I can access my "made on a mac" work on new hardware - how "insanely great" is that...?

The link posted suggests that a very large percentage (29% or almost 1/3) of users have NOT BOUGHT the new OS since 10.6, with presumably many on older hardware who have, and the Mt Lion adoption from Snow is declining monthly indicating resistance as hardware ages, which should be the opposite if an upgrade was really beneficial? New mac sales arguably must slow as a result...

29% is just a little more that 0.1%, and that is web traffic so who knows what the real % is... And XP/7 support to 2020 would seem just a little beyond Vista...

When almost 1/3 of your customer base won't spend $20 for an "upgrade" and therefore can't buy your new computers as a result does that suggest a fundamental problem ?
( Last edited by bobolicious; Feb 1, 2013 at 09:21 PM. )

Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2013, 03:18 AM

Do you think it might be useful to compare this to previous rates of adoption before drawing conclusions about how everything is going to hell?

In any case, the fact that a number of people are not compelled to upgrade says a lot more about the quality of 10.6 than it does about 10.8. They're not doing it because they "can't upgrade", but because they see no need to.

That is, in fact, the way most people work.

Indeed, I'm rather amazed that so many people have switched; it's probably due to new machine sales (which are growing) and the desire to use iCloud, IMO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules