Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple blocks older versions of Flash in Safari

Apple blocks older versions of Flash in Safari
MacNN Staff
Mar 1, 2013, 02:04 PM

Apple has updated the plugin-blocking component in Safari to prevent earlier versions of Flash from being used, a new support document states. Lion, Mountain Lion, and Snow Leopard users are affected. The update comes in response to recently-discovered vulnerabilities in Flash that have already been patched by Adobe, but which could impact people who don't update on a regular basis.

As a rule, Apple has taken a more aggressive stance on security problems in recent years. Java is no longer included in OS X by default, and since Snow Leopard the OS has included a malware protection component which Apple can update remotely to block new threats. The company has had to take a slower approach with iOS, since fixing any problems with the firmware requires a new point release.

Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2013, 04:11 PM

This block triggered on my Mountain Lion system, except I'm running the latest non-beta (11.6.602.171) Flash, so there's nothing to update to. I'm not exactly a Flash fan, but it breaks non-HTML5'd YouTube videos, which is kind of annoying. Wonder if ClickToFlash confused it...

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2013, 09:12 AM

I understand Apple's philosophy, but I *really* don't need them to be my mommy when it comes to surfing the web.

Forum Links
Forum Rules