Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Forums: Debunking Linux hazards on mac, and more

Forums: Debunking Linux hazards on mac, and more
MacNN Staff
Mar 26, 2013, 02:19 PM

Yesterday in the MacNN forums, Grizzled Veteran "abbaZaba" questioned the veracity of a technician's report that Linux on Apple hardware could permanently damage the CPU. "Do I need Adobe Flash Player?" asks one Forum Regular who is trying to avoid a plague of pesky popups and other such annoyances.

Forum Regular "jonn804" is looking for a way to disable videos that automatically start playing when visiting a webpage in Safari. One forum member is on a frantic search for a Pentalobe screwdriver set in order to install a SSD into a new MacBook Air, provide suggestions here. Looking for a faster way to create recovery volumes, "l008com" turned to the forums for some advice.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 27, 2013 at 01:20 AM. )

Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2013, 03:35 PM

I think NewsPoster needs to work on more accurate article summaries. abbaZabba's thread was not some sort of thesis on running Linux on Apple hardware.

Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2013, 04:08 PM

Yeah, I am going to have to express some concern about touting my thread as truth. I was not trying to prove anything; I was actually expecting the more experienced people here to debunk it. This is just sensationalist.

Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2013, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
Yeah, I am going to have to express some concern about touting my thread as truth. I was not trying to prove anything; I was actually expecting the more experienced people here to debunk it. This is just sensationalist.
You made that crystal clear in your thread, this is 100% on MacNN. NewsPoster needs some oil.

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2013, 07:10 PM

NewsPoster has gone loco. Citing a posting on MacNN on MacNN is stupid...plus irresponsible since that post is bull crap.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2013, 08:14 PM

Where is Turtle when he is most needed? This is a good thread for him to blow off some steam!

Managing Editor
Mar 26, 2013, 09:13 PM

Yeah, I didn't like that summary either. A fix is pending. Should be better shortly!

Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2013, 12:12 AM

also, NewsPoster calls me "abbaZabba". ever since I began using this handle over 13 years ago, that misspelling as always irked me.

edit: AND this was my 1,000th post. No longer Grizzled Veteran
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Mar 27, 2013 at 01:14 AM. )

Managing Editor
Mar 27, 2013, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
also, NewsPoster calls me "abbaZabba". ever since I began using this handle over 13 years ago, that misspelling as always irked me.

Good to know. That's fixed too.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by EstaNightshift View Post
Yeah, I didn't like that summary either. A fix is pending. Should be better shortly!
There was a suggestion of flogging in a previous Mac News thread. I hope that its been carried out.

Managing Editor
Mar 27, 2013, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
There was a suggestion of flogging in a previous Mac News thread. I hope that its been carried out.
We're a bit dispersed across the globe so regretfully, not possible.

I do understand that management is working on electrocute-over-IP tech for discipline, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules