Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Gmail, Flipboard iOS apps get significant updates

Gmail, Flipboard iOS apps get significant updates
MacNN Staff
Mar 27, 2013, 02:27 PM

Google has updated the iOS Gmail app to v2.1, adding a pair of important changes. Users can now swipe left or right within an email to continue reading other messages, instead of having to return to the Inbox first. Selecting a message in the Inbox turns on Edit mode, making it easier to perform actions in bulk, like archivals and deletions.

Flipboard has meanwhile updated its iOS app to v2.0. The magazine-style feed reader now supports user-made magazines, which can be toggled as public or private. Content can be saved to a magazine from within Flipboard or using a special bookmarklet in external web browsers. Push notifications appear if a person likes a magazine, comments on it, or subscribes to it, and magazines can be shared via email, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and other services.

The app has also gained personalized recommendations for feeds, and pushed search functions to a more prominent place; search results should be improved. Lastly, page loading and turning have been sped up.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 27, 2013 at 02:33 PM. )

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2013, 03:02 PM

I often run through my list of e-mails, selecting messages I'm going to delete, but then I come to a message I'd like to check. Before, I could just tap the message I want to read, read it, go back to the InBox, and continue selecting more messages to be deleted (the previously-selected messages were still marked). Now, instead of just tapping a message to read it, I first have to trash the previously selected messages (otherwise tapping the message to be read just selects it). This is an extra action I didn't have to perform before. Or is there a way to read the message without first taking an action for the previously selected messages?

Forum Links
Forum Rules