Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Pixelmator 'Blueberry' update brings new shape, Paint Selection tools

Pixelmator 'Blueberry' update brings new shape, Paint Selection tools
MacNN Staff
May 9, 2013, 01:19 PM

The developer of Pixelmator has released an important v2.2 update for the image-editing software. Codenamed Blueberry, the update makes several enhancements to the app's shape tools, for instance adding "smart" controls that rapidly adjust outlines. The Shape Style palette has new Fill, Stroke Style, Shadow, and Inner Shadow options, and the Custom Shapes palette now includes dozens of preset objects.

Separately, a Paint Selection tool has been introduced, allowing people to select objects in an image simply by drawing over them. An effect called Light Leak simulates the light patterns created with a broken camera, and a new Move tool detects when a person is working with image or shape layers, and automatically brings up appropriate options.

In all the update is said to incorporate over 100 new features and improvements. The software costs $15, and requires OS X 10.6.8 or later.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2013, 03:38 PM

Not even in the running as long as the Pixelmator developers are philosophically and staunchly opposed to plugins.

MacNN Editor
May 10, 2013, 12:23 AM

What Zink said, plus the biggest bug in the program -- fuzzy reductions -- still not fixed. And yes, they acknowledged it months ago. To coin a phrase, the "focus" of this update wasn't on the right priorities, guys.

UPDATE: I partially retract the above, as the devs acknowledge the issue and say it affects only certain Macs/video cards. They apparently have a fix for those models (you have to email them your specs to get it) -- but I still find it odd that they can't push that fix into a general update -- Adobe doesn't seem to have a problem doing so, just sayin' ...
( Last edited by Charles Martin; May 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: New data)
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Senior User
May 10, 2013, 10:21 AM

For nearly $600 more, I'd expect Photoshop to be a better program than Pixelmator, be it plugins or performance.

It's hard for me to beat up a program that's trying to do what a lot of people use Photoshop for in a much more cost effective manner.

Forum Regular
May 10, 2013, 11:48 AM

I for one like Pixelmator. It has a slick interface and for the most part does the basic things I need. I wasn't aware of the developers' opposition to plugins, but maybe they are a small outfit and trying to keep the code within the limitations of what they can handle. You certainly can't argue about the price.

Forum Links
Forum Rules