Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Universal Audio ships 16x16 Apollo 16 interface, updated software

Universal Audio ships 16x16 Apollo 16 interface, updated software
MacNN Staff
Jun 7, 2013, 04:29 PM

Universal Audio has started shipping the Apollo 16, a new audio interface for musicians. The gear supports throughput up to 24-bit/192kHz, and uses a 16x16 analog I/O arrangement. That includes support for for purely digital connection types however, such as FireWire and Thunderbolt. Two Apollo 16s can be cascaded via MADI, creating a unit with eight processors and 32x32 I/O.

The Apollo 16 costs $2,999. Thunderbolt support is Mac-only, and requires paying an extra $499 for the Thunderbolt Option Card. Accompanying the interface's release is an update of the UAD Software, v7.0. The upgrade is needed for cascade support, and adds plugins for Ocean Way Studios, SPL TwinTube, and Sonnox Inflator.

The Console app has been redesigned with better visual feedback, and a new PT Mode attempts to simplify outboard hardware integration with Pro Tools. An added Virtual I/O feature permits real-time UAD processing of DAW content.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 7, 2013 at 09:11 PM. )

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2013, 04:51 PM

I'm guessing you mean MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) rather than MADI.

Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2013, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by thinkman View Post
I'm guessing you mean MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) rather than MADI.
No, it's MADI, Multi-channel Audio Digital Interface.

MIDI doesn't belong on a pro audio interface, as it's a control protocol that carries no audio. There are pro MIDI interfaces for that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules