Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > iOS 7 beta hints at iWork suite going free in near future

iOS 7 beta hints at iWork suite going free in near future
MacNN Staff
Jul 9, 2013, 11:36 AM

An oddity in the latest iOS 7 beta suggests that Apple could make the iOS edition of iWork and/or several other of its apps free. The App Store's first-time recommendation window, which suggests Apple apps to download, is currently including the iWork apps -- Pages, Keynote, Numbers -- as well as several other paid titles, like iMovie, iPhoto, and GarageBand. The window normally only mentions free apps, such as iBooks and Find My iPhone.

Making iWork for iOS free may make sense in light of iWork for iCloud, which will be free to iCloud subscribers when it launches later this year. The apps would also be a strong incentive to go with iOS, and pose competition for other free productivity apps, such as Google's. Free iMovie, iPhoto, and GarageBand releases might likewise give Apple an edge.

Jul 9, 2013, 03:51 PM

I think they should be free to counter Google and Microsoft. iCloud versions and App Store versions should be free. iCloud storage needs to be raised as well to compete with Google with 15GB free.

Jul 9, 2013, 03:54 PM

Along with iLife as well!

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2013, 04:46 AM

I've been using the beta of iCloud / iWork. It works better than I anticipated. I'm impressed
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB

Forum Links
Forum Rules