Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > OS Mavericks due to ship in late October, sources say

OS Mavericks due to ship in late October, sources say
MacNN Staff
Sep 6, 2013, 10:40 AM

Apple is planning to release OS X Mavericks at the end of October, sources claim. There has been some speculation that it could launch in September, following an announcement at Apple's September 10th press event. The company is thought to be focusing most of its software engineering on this month's launch of iOS 7 and new iPhones, however, pushing Mavericks into the October timeframe.

Both OS X Lion and Mountain Lion were released the day after a quarterly results call. Apple should post its Q4 2013 results in late October, which may support the sources' claim.

The company is also due to refresh several Mac lines this fall. Apple sometimes likes to pair OS launches with new Macs; while one or two could be updated on the 10th, Apple may want to avoid drawing attention away from new iPhones, and stagger some or all of the new systems into next month. At the same time, October is when the company is generally expected to reveal new iPads.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 6, 2013 at 10:40 AM. )

Sep 6, 2013, 01:24 PM

I wonder how many people like me dread these new releases. More older code to break, more bugs to deal with and all for a bunch of new features that I will never use.

Mac Elite
Location: Excellent, the sports issue is within arm's reach, I'll be here all day.
Sep 6, 2013, 06:49 PM

Tell me you won't use tabbed Finder browsing.

I expect that Apple will finally fix a lot of the bugs in 10.9, after an entire slew of OS releases with tons of Finder bugs (some of which remain uncorrected, others which have been remedied) and internet connectivity issues.

And 10.9 is expected to really nail down CPU/GPU load. This is a $30 no-brainer for me.
This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2013, 12:44 AM

mac_in_tosh, I have seen first hand how stable this version is. I think you will be surprised unless you have really old hardware.

Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 7, 2013, 03:06 AM

FTFF blah blah blah

Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
FTFF blah blah blah
They have.

Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 7, 2013, 08:34 AM

I agree. My only remaining complaint is when I mount a disk image containing an application to install, the window that pops up doesn't include a sidebar so that I can eject that disk image after copying the app to the Applications folder. Other than that, I have no complaints with the Finder.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2013, 06:53 PM

Isn't that dependent on how the disk image is configured? I've had disk images pop up a normal finder window when mounted. It doesn't always create a specifically-sized window with the frame and sidebar hidden.

Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2013, 10:17 PM

It may be - I don't understand why that would be done on purpose though. Perhaps the creator didn't want to confuse people with too many options, simplifying the window down to "App" and "Folder to drag App into". At the least, I'd like a button in the window I can hit that will immediately give m a sidebar.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2013, 10:31 PM

Uhhhhh.....................

The little oval button in the upper right of a Finder window will show/hide the sidebar.

That's been like that since as early as Panther...

http://www.cultofmac.com/59361/100-t...-every-window/

Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2013, 10:38 PM

Uh...which oval button?

I still had all of the dmgs from setting up this MacBook Air in the downloads folder. Skype shows the sidebar, no one else does.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2013, 10:54 PM

They got rid of it?!

That is hilarious. +1 for UI consistency.

I guess it's still in the View menu...does Cmd+Opt+T work?

Or try TotalFinder?

http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/

I really don't know what to tell you. It's pretty asinine that they removed that widget from the UI.

ETA:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...tton_in_finder

Apparently using Cmd+E while the Finder window of the mounted disc image is in focus will eject that disk image.

Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2013, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Apparently using Cmd+E while the Finder window of the mounted disc image is in focus will eject that disk image.
This works in 10.8.4 and 10.6.8

Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2013, 07:37 AM

In system 6.0.7, IIRC, Cmd+E will eject a floppy without unmounting it first.

Forum Links
Forum Rules