Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > iOS App of the Week: Calendars 5

iOS App of the Week: Calendars 5
MacNN Staff
Sep 13, 2013, 01:02 PM

Releasing an app that duplicates features offered by default in iOS is never an easy task -- trying to then sell that app at a premium cost is an even greater challenge. Readdle, which has become well known for its productivity apps, has offered a free calendar app since early September but now is looking to move forward with the release of Calendars 5. Offering a brand new interface, iPad support, natural language event creation, and complete tasks integration, Calendars 5 is a strong contender in the calendar market, the question is if it can live up to its $7 price tag.

As with its predecessor, Calendars 5 includes the ability to sync with Google accounts. This includes syncing calendars, tasks, e-mail addresses, and a user's Google+ identity. However, Calendars 5 now goes beyond this by also including the ability to sync with the local iOS calendar as well as with Apple's Reminders app. Initial event synchronization is quick and painless, while continual background syncs ensure that data remains consists across all of a user's calendars. Moreover, the app also works offline, offering full event creation and editing abilities, and automatically syncing any changes when an Internet connection becomes available.

Event creation is a simple process, but includes several features not found in the default Calendar app. Events can be entered by using natural language such as, "Meet Jon at 2pm," with additional support for specifying a location, adding notes, and choosing contacts to invite. Recurring events can also be set with the standard daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly options, as well as by setting a custom schedule. This could include, "every 2 months on weekdays," "every month by the last day," et cetera. Add full integration with Google Tasks and iOS Reminders to this and suddenly everything needed to plan out a day, week, or month is available in one location. Tasks are just as easy to enter and organize, with full support for breaking down to-dos into customized lists.

Everyone has their own methods for staying organized so inevitably $7 will be more than some are willing to pay. However, those looking for a powerful and complete scheduling tool should be more than satisfied with Readdle's offering. Calendars 5 is dead simple to use, while still filled with a number of advanced features that help it stand out among a flooded market of calendar apps. If the $7 entry fee is too much, customers can currently take advantage of the app's launch promotion which has lowered the price to $5. An official end date for the promo has not been announced, but the price is expected to rise to its full value by the end of the weekend.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 13, 2013 at 01:15 PM. )

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2013, 01:13 PM

Looks like it's on sale for $4.99.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2013, 02:02 PM

I've used both Calendars 5 and Pocket Informant, and even though Calendars 5 has a clean interface and some useful features, Pocket Informant offers all of that and much more. Pocket Informant is one of my essential and most used apps.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2013, 03:37 PM

For some reason I want this app so badly, but there's this nagging voice that's telling me there's a competing app that may be better...

So weird... I wonder where that little voice came from...

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2013, 06:29 PM

I don't know. That little voice tells me I want to stay away from both products. Homie don't play dat.

Forum Links
Forum Rules