Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > App Store now allows fetching 'last compatible versions' of iOS apps

App Store now allows fetching 'last compatible versions' of iOS apps
MacNN Staff
Sep 17, 2013, 09:18 AM

Apple has enabled a new feature which lets people download the "last compatible version" of an app on the iOS App Store. Until now, only the most recent version of an app was available, which proved problematic for people with older hardware (and/or an older version of iOS) if compatibility requirements had changed. The new system will show a pop-up window in iOS, asking if they want to download an earlier app release.

The arrangement reportedly supports devices as old as the iPhone 3G. Apple may be worried about supporting older products in light of the iPhone 5s, which uses a 64-bit processor; until next month, apps written in 64-bit code won't be backwards compatible with 32-bit devices using iOS 6. Apple is promising to enable hybrid 32/64-bit binaries in October.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 17, 2013 at 09:19 AM. )

Senior User
Sep 17, 2013, 12:47 PM

Gee, this would have been really helpful in iOS 4.2.1

Senior User
Sep 17, 2013, 03:35 PM

Well, it is a nice feature, early, timely, or late. Still pretty helpful.

Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2013, 05:20 PM

Given that this is available to phones and iPads that still run 4.2.1, it's really helpful right now. I have an original iPhone stuck at 3.1.3, can't wait to see if I can re-download the "right" versions of some of my disappeared apps back (I don't expect a lot of success, but even one or two would be great).
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules