Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Taiwan listed as Chinese province in Apple Maps, gov't. complains

Taiwan listed as Chinese province in Apple Maps, gov't. complains
MacNN Staff
Oct 30, 2013, 12:50 PM

Taiwan's foreign ministry has issued a complaint to Apple about the way the country is characterized in Maps, reports say. In both iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks, Maps lists Taiwan as a province of China. "The maps don't acknowledge Taiwan as its own nation. We voiced our disapproval and hope Apple will make the change," a ministry official states. While many Taiwanese consider themselves independent, the Chinese government considers the country a possession, which in the past has led to political conflict and threats of war. Apple has yet to respond on the matter.

The ministry complaint was submitted after local media began reporting complaints by Mac and iOS users. Apple has run into political disputes with Maps in the past; in 2012, for instance, the South Korean government argued that the name of an island chain should be exclusively in Korean, even though the islands are also claimed by Japan.

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2013, 02:36 PM

Yeah...well China is a part of my backyard.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2013, 03:50 PM

I had understood the argument to be that in Taiwan was the legitimate government of all of China, including the mainland, and in Beijing, they claimed to be the legitimate government of China, including Taiwan.

Meanwhile the rest of the world danced around this, but its obvious that they are two countries.

Well - if Taiwan considers themselves to be independent, who would argue with obvious reality that they are independent?

I guess Apple - always cow towing to the Chinese communist government- for one.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2013, 03:59 PM

I withdraw my comment - I don't see where Taiwan's position has changed enough to warrant laying the blame on Apple.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2013, 05:43 PM

I'd be interested in knowing the nationality if the cartographers and programers who worked on that section of the OSX and iOS7. My guess is that if they were Asian, they weren't from Taiwan.

Back in the 1970s, I bought a set of encyclopedias printed in Taiwan that was a page by page knock off of a famous brand. The history of China entry ended in 1948 and the remaining China pages were blank. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2013, 11:32 PM

Based on my experience reporting egregious errors in Apple maps, Taiwan can expect some sort of change--maybe not what they hoped for--in about two years.

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2013, 12:02 AM

@psdenno....... that's interesting. This is like Japanese textbook for the students never mention anything on Pearl Harbor attack, Nanking massacre, and other senseless killings. But yet the Hiroshima bombing is mentioned over and over and over again. Guilt and denial still exist until these days. Wonder how the Germany textbook handles the Holocaust. At least the American history textbook mentions about slavery.

Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2013, 01:36 AM

(West) German textbooks had quite ample coverage of the holocaust and the Nazi era, as do our tv shows and general education.

There is a very strong sense of "lest history repeat itself" ingrained in modern everyday German culture.

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2013, 03:11 AM

How is it that Google Maps never makes any mistakes and it's always Apple? Maybe Apple should just copy Google Earth or Google Maps and save themselves the trouble. Apple Maps is about as barebones as can be so they shouldn't be making any mistakes.

Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2013, 03:21 AM

Google is FULL of errors.

It was a LOT worse back when Google pulled an Apple and switched to their own maps back in 2009 — they'd been using others' services up to then. The results were bad, and the criticism was identical to what Apple has had to deal with for the past year.

People just moved on more quickly because a) Apple-bashing is a fad that Google-bashing never was, and b) there weren't any other options to directly compare to at the time.

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2013, 09:11 AM

Agree with Spheric Harlot. I had submitted a few errors (even today) to Google around where I live.... New England.

Forum Links
Forum Rules