Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Snowblower shatters glass panel at Fifth Avenue Apple Store

Snowblower shatters glass panel at Fifth Avenue Apple Store
MacNN Staff
Jan 22, 2014, 10:32 AM

A snowblower has shattered one of the glass panels on top of the Fifth Avenue Apple Store in New York City, Apple has confirmed. The city was bombarded with a snowstorm on Tuesday, and the glass broke later on as crews were attempting to clean up. A store worker tells AppleInsider that although the panel was badly cracked, the shop didn't close and will continue to operate as usual. The location is normally open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, only shutting down in dire circumstances or in preparation for a major product launch.

Replacing the glass may be an expensive project. The cube on top of the store is made of just 15 panels, each about 32 feet tall, and Apple contractors will have to carefully remove the broken panel and install a custom-ordered replacement. When Apple overhauled the cube in 2011 the effort cost $6.7 million, but that covered replacing the entire structure and renovating some of the surrounding area.

Senior User
Jan 22, 2014, 10:45 AM

I wonder how many other windows these snowblowers randomly smash. If they hit the Apple Store, I'm sure they broke others.

Senior User
Jan 22, 2014, 12:02 PM

Sadly... I've read elsewhere that the object that accidentally struck the glass panel was a discarded iphone 5 someone tossed onto the sidewalk as they were racing into the Apple Store to purchase the 5S.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2014, 12:19 PM

Apple could use this as a visual promo for their new iPhone screen repair service in stores! The extremely cold weather and winds this season would push the limits on any glass structure.

Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2014, 01:51 PM

The dude needs to fall on his sword . . . er, shovel.

Senior User
Jan 22, 2014, 04:19 PM

THANKS OBAMA

Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2014, 02:32 AM

To me, "shattered" means the glass panel broke apart and the pieces flew everywhere. That's not what happened.

Forum Links
Forum Rules